23

The whole March sibling burst into joy for their youngest. "OH BETH!" Jo screamed out loud, jumping up and down around the bashful Beth. "' Humble servant,' how lovely!" Meg claps her hand excitedly as Amy begins to examine the given gift, "See the cunning brackets to hold candles and the nice green silk..."

They all started gathering around, they are so absorbed in the piano, that they almost don't notice that Beth has gotten up and walked straight over to Laurence's house. Timid Beth walks straight up to the house and then to Mr. Laurence's office, astonishing the old man as she tries to speak: "Sir, I wanted to thank you..." But words are lost, and she throws her arms around him. He accepts the hug like he's been waiting for it his whole life.

"You remind me so much of my little girl. The piano is yours, I should have given it to you long ago." While he's hugging her, he notices that she's hot and flushed, not a usual temperature of a child like her. "My child, you're burning."

"The Hummel's are very sick," And that is how Beth, in her bed, with a delirious fever. A doctor looks her over, then consults with the girls and Hannah, the guardian in charge of the house that was wanting down the stairs and distance as ordered. "She's resting."

"How is she? Is there anything I can do?" Mr. Laurence was also there, worried about the health of the youngest March as Hannah too asked about the reasoning for Beth's state. The response of the doctor brought cold blood to the adults.

"It's scarlet fever." Amy was the only one in confusion as she asked about the fever but everyone ignore her as the doctor speaks more, "I visited the Hummel's, the baby has died." A soft gasp left everyone's mouth, Cathy had even stepped back as she was there to witness the baby's cry and family's state.

The doctor began asking the sister if they have such a fever before to which Jo replied, "Meg and I have, but Amy hasn't..." Jo's eyes landed on Cathy, she couldn't seem to remember if the girl has had the fever before or not but since she spoke of Amy first, the adults become planning without question.

"She would be needed to send away." / "I don't want to be sent away!"

"I'll see if Aunt March can take her." / "I don't like Aunt March."

"It's for your own good, child." / "Should we send for Mother?"

"No, we shouldn't worry her. I've never wished for money more than now."

Cathy had ignored the chaos at the stairwell, instead, she manages to slip between them and into her shared room. Carefully closing the door behind her, she steps forward and knees in front of the bed where Beth is lying breathing heavily.

Beth had turned around as she felt Cathy's hand locking with her warm one, "I-It hurts." Cathy didn't know how to help her, so instead, she gave her a heartening smile and with no hesitation, "Only for now. I'll take the pain away."

That night Cathy stayed by Beth's side, never leaving her as she hums beautiful tones and nursery rhymes their mother with singing to them every night when they were young. It brought ease to Beth's heart to sleep well. Unknown to everyone, Cathy felt her throat becoming sore and her body ache. Quick to understand her state was similar to Beth's.

●・○・●・○・●

During the morning break, with the doctor's advice. It was better that only one person is taking care of Beth as a caution for the fever to not spread to anyone else. Since it is Cathy's room also, and knowing of her new symptoms, she volunteered for that responsibility as Hannah and Jo would pass medicine and needed stuff by the door.

Luckily, no one was challenging this and Laurie wasn't there to notice her behavior.

Cathy, sitting vigil on the floor beside the bed, puts cold towels on Beth's hot forehead as she too would secretly hides her horrible cough and whimpers from Beth. She whispers encouraging words, "You will get better. Father will get better. And we'll all be together soon," Beth turns to Cathy to easily get her into view, she notices her redness state and the hot hand that was holding her. "What if that doesn't happen? I'm afraid."

Letting out a sad smile, Cathy leans her chin on the side of the bed. Giving Beth an excited gleam as she learned something new the other day, "Beth, do you know what's a superhero?" Beth with no hesitation shakes her head, not understanding the word, so Cathy explained with a smile to her, "It's someone who is dedicated to protecting someone or something."

Cathy reach her hand out, pushing Beth's hair to the side as she said, "I'll be your superhero." Cathy let out a breathy chuckle then made Beth's smile appear, "And I'm going to use all my strength." 

She stood up as Beth kept her eyes on her sister as a child would on their parent while Cathy opens the window to let the cold breeze reassurance their scorching red bodies. Cathy turns around as she built her strongest smile, puffing out her chest made her sister laugh at how silly it was.

"Don't ever be afraid," Cathy slowly walked up to Beth, pulling herself onto the bed beside her as she huddles Beth into a cuddle and murmured, "I'll carry you away from it all." All these words and actions had brought hope to Beth, everything will and must be alright as long as Cathy was there for her. Her sister is all she ever needs, no monsters, darkness or sickness can ever fear here because she knows Cathy will protect her through it all.

"You're my superhero."