Chapter 12: Wedding Reception

"Layla, even though we barely know each other, you have been more of a friend to me in these few days than my actual friends have ever been in years

"Layla, even though we barely know each other, you have been more of a friend to me in these few days than my actual friends have ever been in years. I'll try my best to keep you happy in these 2 years and also after that. Even though we don't love each other, you've grown to become an important part of my life. Even if this marriage is just an arrangement, I've gained a friend for life and I plan on spending my best moments with you in these couple of years. So Layla, I promise to cherish you always, to honour and sustain you, in sickness and in health, in poverty and in wealth and to be true and loyal to you until this agreement do us part." I whispered in Layla's ear and pulled back to watch her reaction. And it was worth it.

Her smile stretched, light in her eyes brightened and glow on her face shone even more than it did before. Now her smile reached her eyes and red tainted her cheeks.

"God! You're so dramatic." She let out a full blown laugh and all the guests laughed with her even though they didn't know what's being said among the two of us.

Layla lean forward, our lips mere inches apart but instead of touching my lips, she tilted her neck and in turn whispered her vows in my ear.

"After your dramatic speech I don't think I can top that, but all I'm gonna say is that Reed, you're one of the few people who saw the real me. You are among the first ones to notice that there lies a cheerful girl beneath the ruthless façade. And even after knowing some of my teen history you didn't judge me, you saw that there's more to me. You became my friend when I needed it the most and yes I plan on fulfilling my promise that I made to you that day in the cafe; that you won't ever feel sad or lonely. So Reed, hereby, I promise to cherish you too, to respect and honour you, in sickness and in health, in poverty and in wealth and to be true to you in all things until this agreement do us part." She pulled back with a warm smile on her face.

"Relieved to see I'm not the only one who's dramatic." I chuckled while giving her hands a gentle tug.

After the vows, the officiant called for the wedding bands, Ethan behind me, kept Layla's ring in my waiting hand, and I slowly slid the ring in Layla's gorgeous fingers. Who knew hands could be so beautiful.

It was time for the final declaration of intent, I began speaking again, "With this ring I, Reed Valentine, take you, Layla Sheldon, to be no other than yourself. Loving what I know of you, and trusting what I do not yet know, I will respect your integrity and have faith in your abiding love for me, through all our years, and in all that life may bring us."

Charlotte opened a small case and pulled out a delicate band and pushed it in Layla's direction. Layla gently slid it on my fingers and repeated the same words as I did.

"By the power vested in me by the state of New York, I now pronounce you husband and wife, you may kiss the bride."

I leaned in and pulled her close to me by wrapping an arm around her waist and held her right hand in mine and left a lingering kiss on the corner of her mouth, we stood there for a few seconds, but eventually I had to let go of her hand.