Chapter 18

Third Person's POV:

Proteus sat in his study, leisurely flipping through one of many books and tombs that lines the shelves. Proteus's long dark hair was pulled into its usual low ponytail and he wore the robes of a ruler. He had taken rule shortly after his father stepped down as King of Syracuse.

"Proteus?"

The new king lifted his head and smiled, seeing an elegant woman standing in the doorway to the study. She was from the mighty kingdom of Athens, her hair a striking shade of jet black and skin a beautiful sun-kissed tan. She wore an emerald green dress and a silver circlet on her brow along with jewelry.

Proteus smiled as he saw her, "Hello, my dear wife." He murmurs, "What brings you here?"

Queen Alanna, Proteus' wife of about 3 years. They met by chance during a meeting with county leader's and it was love at first sight.

Alanna stared at her husband with piercing green eyes as she walked in, "Someone's arrived in the harbor you may want to see." She said, smiling kindly, "Sinbad is here."

Proteus shot to his feet, "Sinbad has returned?" His face brightened as he walked swiftly out of his study. Alanna giggled and followed after her husband.

Sinbad walked down the busy street confidently, his arms folded behind his head, with Marina at his side. Marina began to drift off to the vendors, "Oh it feels so good to be back here." She said with a small smile, chuckling.

Sinbad laughed in amusement, "I'll bet you Proteus will be down here in about five minutes. As soon as he hears his best friend has returned he'll come running."

Nenari cocked her head, "Proteus? Is he a friend?"

"Yeah, we grew up together." Sinbad said as he snatched an apple off a vendor and bit into it with a smirk, "We are like brothers. Probably been crowned king by now."

"He's a king?" Nenari suddenly became painfully aware of the rags she was wearing as she adjusted her make shift clothing, "I'm meeting a king in rags. Perfect."

Kale glanced down at her before he reached out and took her hand again, "Come with me." He lead her down a side street.

Nenari followed him, blinking in confusion as she stared at him, "Kale, where are we going?"

"Getting you some real clothes." He said with a smile, "We didn't have anything to spare on the ship, but I think you'd benefit from a pair of pants and a tunic at least." He chuckled.

Nenari blinked, feeling warmth rise in her cheeks, "But, I don't have any money to pay for it-"

"Don't worry about it." He told her, looking over his massive shoulder, "I got it covered."

Nenari blinked as she pulled her hand away and, and stopped, staring at Kale with widened eyes. Kale turned to her, cocking his head in confusion, "Something wrong?" He asked her.

"You would spend your well-earned money on me?" She looked down at her bare feet, "Why?"

Kale regarded her in that moment, the warm light of the Syracuse sun made her rich skin glow. Her coal-colored hair seemed to shine and her storm grey eyes . . . Eyes that when you looked into them, you were transported into the frosty north. She was strong, sturdy, like he was. Built with wide attractive hips and broad shoulders, covered in thick, undefined muscle. She stood sheepishly before him, and Kale could see her cheeks reddened with a blush. He smiled, feeling his gaze soften as he approached her. He reached down and gently took her hand in his, "Because any man in their right mind would want to treat a fine lady to some much needed clothing." He said tenderly.

Nenari blushed as she rubbed her neck, before she followed Kale to a vendor selling clothes. The seller was a lanky woman with slender features and dark skin. She smiled as she leaned over the counter of her stall and spoke, "Hello, you two. What can I get ya?"

Nenari blushed as she rubbed her neck, "I just need some pants and a blouse. Nothing too fancy." She said simply.

"Are you sure you don't want someone a little more feminine?" She smiled playfully, "I mean you do have that bunk hunk of a man to please." She jabbed a thumb over to Kale who was perusing over another clothing vendor.

"Oh- Oh, he's not my partner-" Nenari felt heat flush up her neck right to her cheeks and all the way to her ears.

"Riiight." The woman smirks, before she ducked behind the desk and soon came up with folded deep green cloth. "I see that the color green really brings out your eyes." She unfolded the cloth revealing it to be a long sleeve cotton tunic, embroidered with floral patterns around the collar and hem. Nenari blushed as she pulled the garment close and held it up, "Oh its wonderful." She said with a blush, "How much?"

"About 10 gold pieces, my dear." She said.

Nenari bit her lower lip, "I don't think I have-"

"I got it."

Nenari looked over seeing that Kale was standing behind her, fishing the money out of his purse. Nenari turned to him, "Kale, it's not -"

"Don't argue with me." He gave her a wry grin as he slid the coins over to the woman who, in turn, handed the shirt to Nenari.

Nenari looked down at the tunic and smiled faintly, before she turned to Kale and looked up at him, "Kale . . . Thank you."

They both walked through the vendors, Kale buying some other shirts and pants for the woman beside him. Nenari found a beautiful but simple blue and green skirt which she was able to pay for herself. It wasn't long before Nenari slipped into a changing stall and soon walked out in her new outfit. Kale, who was looking at some knives, glanced over, "Oh! Hey! Do they fit-" he stopped dead short, a blush crossing his cheeks.

Nenari was in the green blouse, with the floral embroidery, and the long green and blue skirt that went down to her ankles. She was still barefoot—by choice. She looked up at him, rubbing her neck as Ember barked excitedly, "So . . . How do I look?" She asked.

Kale stuttered, his words frozen in his mouth as he stared at her, "Uh-um . . ." He cleared his throat, "You look great." He said, giving her a loving smile.

Nenari gave a breathless laugh as Ember bounded over to her and licked her hand, her bushy tail wagging. Nenari then walked over, a bag slung over her shoulder containing the other items that were purchased. Nenari walked right up to him, and gently touched his arm, "Thank you so much, Kale . . ."

Her hand was calloused, but warm. Her silver eyes gleaming in the light, her dark hair framing a round face. She looked up at him sheepishly, as Kale lifted a hand and gently took her hand in his own. Kale's hand engulfed hers, and he could feel his heart hammering against his chest.

"Y-you're welcome." He replied.

Nenari then went up on the balls of her feet and pressed her plump lips to his cheek, before she pulled away, "Come on, we should find Sinbad and the others." She turned and scampered off.

Kale watched after her, slack-jawed and in awe.