11

Nenari~
    I let out a yell as I jumped from my perch on the mast, the knife held above my head. I brought it down into the Serpent's body, piercing the flesh hidden under it's scales, I held onto the hilt as I swung there, looking down at the Chimera below, I saw everyone stare at me with wide, shocked eyes. I grit my teeth, feeling fluids ooze onto my arm, the serpent screeched and thrashed, loosening it's hold on the Chimera, I grunted, feeling the slick innard fluid, it's blood and . . . other goo . . . make my grip slick on the knife's hilt. I cursed under my breath before looking around for an escape.
    "Nenari! Get out of there!" Marina's scream reached my ears, I then heard the splashing of water, I looked down seeing the ocean was growing closer at a rapid rate. That's when it hit me . . . the serpent was submerging.
    "C'mon . . . think Nenari!" I hissed to myself. The ocean breeze whipped my hair about in its braid, the free stands falling before my eyes, getting caught in my mouth. I exhaled before bracing my feet on the Serpent's slick frame and I jumped, my hand locking onto a stray line, I winced in pain feeling my arm strain under the intense work. I watched as the serpent screeched a roared, before arching back and vanishing into the blue sea, a huge patch of foaming bubbles the only indication it was ever here. I coughed, before swinging to another line and I slid down it before landing on the deck, letting my knees buckle. I tucked into a roll, before skidding to a halt on my knees, my breath shaky.
    Ember ran to me, she licked my face, her saliva plastering my hair to my face, I chuckled and scratched her head, "Good to see you too, girl." I kissed her on the muzzle. I stood on shaky legs, holding my arm which ached from hanging on the ropes.
    Sinbad ran over, "I can't believe it . . ." he folded his arms, "you lost my favorite knife!" he exclaimed, devastated.
    I peaked a brow at him before rolling my eyes, "A knife can be replaced, Sinbad." I sighed, "Lives can't."
    Sinbad looked at me, amused, "What? You get that from a charter?" he joked.
    I shook my head as the rest of the crew came over, "No. Common sense and good morals." I replied, smiling weakly.
    Sinbad peaked a brow, then chuckled, "None the less, not bad. . . for woman."
    I glanced at him, before stroking Ember's coat, "You have a wonderful young sailor in your crew, I'd like to think you treat women as equal as you do men," I knelt down, rubbing my sore feet, they were battered and bruised from all the work, the fight and the running.
    Kale nudged Sinbad's shoulder, "Nenari saved us, say thank you." he folded his arms.
    Sinbad pouted, "Thanks, Nenari." he mumbled, as if it were the hardest thing to say.
    I chuckled, standing up, I brushed the hair from my face, "Of course," I cleared my throat, "we need this ship to stay afloat, right?"
    Sinbad's lips pulls into a devious smirk, "Yes, indeed!" he slapped my back, making me wince.
    He then ran off, "Men, hoist the sails, get us back on track!" he ordered.
    I cleared my throat, rubbing my arm a little bit. I then noticed that I was only me and Kale alone at the moment, and the silence got somewhat awkward.
    Kale cleared his throat, "Nenari, uh, those skills," he referred to how I dealt with the sea serpent, "where did you learn that?" he asked.
    I brushed my black hair from my eyes, as a warm salty breeze swept over the deck, making my hair sway, "Self-taught actually, from living on that island." I explained, one hand gripping my arm.
    Kale's sharp eyes drifted down to my arm, "Is your arm alright?" he reached out and grabbed my forearm, pulling it up.
    I simply shrugged, looking at it, "I don't know, it's sore." I told him,
    Kale turned my arm over and he gasped a little bit. My inner bicep was turning black and blue, Kale ran his hand up my arm and touched the forming bruise, I hissed in pain at his touch.
    "Sorry." Kale apologized before looked up at me, "Looks like you bruised it." he let my arm go, and it fell to my side.
    I gave a slightly forced laugh, "Well, wouldn't be the first time." I smirked, then winged my hands.
    "Nenny!" Sinbad shouted, "Get the main line!"
    I gave an annoyed huff, "We agreed you wouldn't call me that!" I shouted back, running over and grabbing the main line and pulling hard, the sail unfurled and the Chimera was, once again, on it's way.

That Evening~

    I stood near the rail of the ship, looking out west, the sun was setting turning the sky blood red with streaks of pink and gold. I truly beautiful sight, I heaved a deep sigh and ran my hand over my head, my fingers interlacing with my black hair. Ember plodded over, her head low, she whined softly and jumped up, panting her front paws on the rail and looking up at me with big eyes.
    "Good girl." I rubbed her between the ears, before returning my grey eyes back out to the sea. I rested my bare arms on the rail, my ragged clothes swaying in the constant breeze. Ember rested her dark muzzle on my arm, her tail beating my leg as it wagged.
    "Beautiful . . ." I murmured, watching the sun set.
    Ember then turned her head and barked once, I turned my head and my eyes widened seeing Kale coming up from below deck, "What is he doing . . .?" I said under my breath, straightening up a little bit.
    Kale looked at me and smiled brightly, "Evening." he came over, "Enjoying the sun set?" he asked, coming up beside me.
    "Aye." I replied, looking out over the glimmering waves, "It is amazing." I murmured softly.
    Kale gave a deep, husky chuckle, "Agreed." He then looked at me, "I still can't get over how you fought off that serpent all on your own." he smiled at me.
    I felt my cheeks heat up a little bit, "Oh, that . . ." I scoffed lightly, "I mean . . .I've been on my own since I was young." I kept my eyes focused on the horizon, "I only remember bits and pieces of who I am, heck, I do not even remember where I'm from." I scoffed lightly.
    Kale gave me a sympathetic stare and reached out, I wasn't sure what he was going to do, but he never got the chance. Ember tackled Kale and began licking his face.
    "Wha-? Ack! No, Ember! Off!" Kale put his forearm up, keeping Ember at bay.
    I held back a chuckle and grabbed Ember's loose rope collar, "Easy, girl!" I busted out in a fit of laughs. "I am so sorry, Kale!" I held a hand over my mouth.
    Kale sat up, brushing slobber from his face, "It's fine." He chuckled lightly, "I've always had a way with animals."
    Ember sat at my side and gave Kale a glare,

Ember's POVE~~(Just for kicks )

I wasn't stupid! I saw what Kale was doing! He is not touching my Nenari! No way no how!