Chapter 19

Third Person's POV:

To say Nenari felt out of place was the understatement of the century. She had grown up with barely anything to her name, living off the land, and learning the ways of nature and how to live by her laws. The palace of the newly-crowned-king of Syracuse was culture shock to say the least. As her bare feet padded quietly across the marble, Nenari took in all the majesty before her, stunned into silence. Kale walked beside her, watching her reactions, finding them adorable. Nenari turned to him, eyes widened as she rubbed her neck, "Kale, this is beautiful!" she looked around at the palace around them.

Kale smiled, "Yeah, guess it is."

He wasn't talking about the palace.

The crew soon made their way into the great hall, and were met with Proteus, standing in the center, arms folded behind his back, a beaming smile on his face, "Sinbad!" He boomed.

"Proteus!" He walked up to his friend, grinning smugly.

Nenari froze mid-stride as she saw him, her shoulders slumping as she slowly moved behind Kale, "That's the king?"

"Yeah." Kale responded, "But don't worry. He's very nice." He rested his hand on her shoulder, offering comfort.

Sinbad pat Proteus' arm, grinning, "So," he reached up and flicked his long poneytail, "You didn't cut your hair, huh?"

"I thought long hair would give me a more noble look." He said as he grinned smugly.

"You look like a hippie."

"Sinbad!"

Nenari arched a brow at the banter, glancing at Kale who shrugged and smirked, "Don't worry, this is normal for them."

Proteus smiles, as he rested his hands on Sinbad's shoulders, "Not that I mind you coming here, but you don't usually stop by for just a house visit." He mused, rubbing his friend's arm.

Sinbad chuckled softly, as he pulled away, "Indeed." He looked around the palace with a grin, "You see, we have a new member to the crew." He sauntered over to Nenari and grabbed her by her arm and pulled her out from behind the wall that was Kale. Proteus cocked his head as he looked the woman over.

"This," Sinbad clapped Nenari on the back, making the dark-skinned woman flinch, "strong, powerful, independent goddess of a woman," he grins, "is Nenny."

Sinbad did all he could to ignore the glare Kale was jetting in the back of his head.

"Nenari." Nenari corrected as she glared at him, removing his arm from her shoulder.

"Yeah," Sinbad then walked back to his childhood friend, "Nenny-"

"Nenari."

"Yeah. She's got a map, to a treasure—a big treasure—and we need to stop and re-stock on supplies for a few days. That ok with you?" Sinbad flashed his winning smile at Proteus with a low chuckle.

Proteus blinked then smiled, "A map? May I see?" He approached Nenari slowly, his hand extended out to her.

Nenari bit her lower lip, eyeing him worriedly. I glanced at Kale, who gave me a nod of assurance. I sighed softly as I reached into my blouse, and pulled out my folded map, handing it to Proteus, keeping my gaze downcast, the lanky man reached out and took it. I could feel his gaze on me as he spoke softly, "Nenari is a wonderful name." He mused.

I glanced up at him as Proteus spoke again, "Where are you from?" He asked me softly.

I blinked at him, before sighing softly, "I'm not sure." I said honestly, "I have the innate ability to understand and speak Zulu, according to Kale, but I could've picked that up from anywhere."

Proteus examined the map wordlessly, the pause stretched on, and it slowly began to seep into my nerves. I found myself trying not to fidget. Soon, the long-haired man looked up, "The path to this location is nothing short of perilous." He said, his brows furrowed over his bright eyes, "Especially at this time of year."

"Since when has that ever stopped us?" Sinbad shot back with a low laugh, as Nenari took her map back from the King and quickly skittered behind Kale. When behind him, Nenari felt like she had retreated behind a stone wall—safe, unmoving and secure. Kale glanced at her, and offered an assuring smile, before he reached out and gently brushed his arm to hers. Nenari looked up at him, and smiled softly.

Marina spoke, "Proteus, we were hoping we could stay in Syracuse for a few days to re-stock our supplies, and get some rest." She said, smiling.

Proteus blinked, "Oh, of course! Of course!" He smiled, "You can stay as guests in the palace." He beamed.

Nenari blinked, "Stay here? I think an inn would suffice-"

"Shush!" Sinbad shushed me, making me blink at him, before scowling.

Sinbad turned to Proteus and grinned, "We'd love to!"