Happy Birthday to Us

"Happy Birthday, Sis!" I said as we clinked cupcakes. It was exactly 12:00 midnight on October 31st or 12:00 am on November 1st, whichever way you wanna see it. This was how we'd celebrated our birthdays for the past 2 years. We were spending it home alone, Harley and Cecelia were at school and mum had gone down to the shop with Damian and most likely fell asleep working. She did that a lot. So that was why Ella and I were sitting in the middle of our library with a roaring fire beside us. It was my favorite room in the house with its walls covered in bookshelves, spiral staircases in both ends and sliding ladders along the wall. Ella smiled at me before taking a large bite of the cupcake effectively getting icing all so we her face. I giggled before handing her a napkin.

"Your lucky mum got you the stuff for cupcakes. After what happened with the Weasley's I was sure mum wouldn't even give you a present," Ella said reaching for another cupcake.

"What ever do you mean Miss Ella," I said sarcastically putting a hand on my chest. "Our dear mother could hardly contain her laughter at the sight if the snow. She could barely get out an apology before she joined us children."

Ella was on her back laughing by now from my description even though that's exactly what happened.

"Yes but she was a little upset when we got home," Ella said reasoning.

"Very true, I mean she didn't even let me get a new book," I said with a frown.

"That's because the next day you jumped off the roof and broke your leg."

"Yes but it healed."

"You hopped around the house for 10 minutes before you told anyone."

"I was fine."

"Sure you were."

There was a moment of silence before we both burst out laughing. After we started we couldn't stop and we just sat there in front of the fire laughing. Then very suddenly Ella stopped laughing and got up and left the room. I was confused for a second before she came back holding a little present in her hands. I gasped before running past her and out of the library to our room. I grabbed a present from under my bed before running back to the library. As I ran through the doorway I tripped on the carpet and went face first into the back of the couch. I heard Ella laughing at me from the other side of the couch so I decided to scare her. After I didn't move for a moment she stopped laughing and then I jumped over the couch and on top of her knocking the present out of her hand and the breath out of her.

"What did you do that for?" She asked throwing me off.

"You laughed at me," I said hopping up and running across the room towards the present Ella threw.

"Oh my gosh you poor baby," she said sarcastically, picking up the present I dropped.

She sat down on the ground in front of the fire. I followed suit and we sat facing each other, presents in hand.
"So on three?" I asked. She nodded with a wide smile on her face.

"One."

"Two."

"Three," we said together tearing into our presents. Paper was flying everywhere(including into the fire, oops) and a loud squeal was heard from Ella as a gasp of frustration was heard from me. I had gotten her a silver music box with a snowflake design on top. When she opened it it played an old nursery rhyme that she liked, You are my sunshine. I on the other, was very frustrated due to the amount of spellotape on the box I unwrapped.

"Really?!" I asked her as she hugged me around the waist, thanking me for the gift. I started tearing at the box trying to get the tape off.

"Why would you use spellotape?" I cried throwing the box down.

"Because it's funny to see you struggle," she said taking to box and some scissors that she was hiding and tore open the box, before handing it back to me. I glared at her before opening the box and gasping loudly.

Inside were two necklaces. One was a silver lock and the other was an old-fashioned silver key, it looked as if they fit together. I stared at them for a moment before dropping the box and tackling Ella to the ground in a hug.
"So I'm guessing you like them," she said laughing.

She knew that I liked them, it was exactly the type of thing I was into. Anything that was or looked old, like the lock and key, old paintings or books. My whole room was covered in things like that.

"Ok, ok that's enough," she said pushing me off, "its sort of for me too. You see you get one necklace and I get the other. So people will always know that we go together."

She took the lock necklace and put it around her neck then helped me put on the key necklace. After that we just sat around talking and eating enjoying each other's company. It was around three in the morning when both Ella and I had fallen asleep that we heard a loud bang at the door. We both jerked awake immediately looking towards the closed door that led to the front hallway. I got up cautiously following Ella towards the door. As she cracked it open there was another loud bang and the doors went flying down the hallway. We peaked around the door to see our destroyed front hall in a cloud of dust.

A figure stepped over the rubble but there was so much dust that we couldn't see their face. They walked towards one of the family portraits pointing his wand at mum and dad muttering, "Nickol," and setting the picture on fire. At this Ella stepped back from the door closing it as quietly as he she could. We looked at each other for a moment with expressions of terror mirrored on our faces. Then she ran behind the couch and started to push it towards the door. All I could do was stand there terrified as she pushed the couch. She turned towards me with a look of helplessness on her face and breathed out, "Help me!"

I nodded walking towards her when suddenly there was a loud bang and a flash of light and then darkness.

I opened my eyes to see I had been thrown back against the wall. The entire room was surrounded in a ring of fire. The smoke and the hit to the head made my vision blurry but I could make out a figure walking over a pile of rubble and a crumpled lump on the floor...Ella. She was partially buried underneath the rubble of the door, face towards the ceiling , eyes closed. I couldn't think, I couldn't breath. It wasn't possible, it just wasn't possible. Not Ella. She was so sweet, so innocent and...and she promised. She promised that she would never leave me. She couldn't be gone, she couldn't be...dead.

A sudden pain in me left shoulder like I'd never felt before, brought me back to reality. It felt like I was being stabbed with a red-hot poker, like liquid fire was being poured into my veins through that one spot.

Then very suddenly, it was gone though I could feel the ghost of it still there. I barely had enough energy to lift my head and see one figure running towards the other with his wand pointing towards him. He grabbed the other mans shoulder and left with a barely audible pop due to the roar of the flames.

I used what little energy I had to crawl towards the rubble of the door. I tried to move Ella's body from under the rocks but could only hold tight to it as tears streamed down my face. "Don't leave me Ella, please don't leave me," I whispered. Looking to her face I saw that her eyes had opened and she was staring at me. Then her eyes closed and her head fell back as she let out a past sigh.

I let out another sob and let the darkness i'd been fighting off take me too.