#ㅤㅤ⁰⁵. portraits and dogs

𝐂𝗁𝖺𝗉𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝖿𝗂𝗏𝖾ㅤㅤㅤ───ㅤㅤㅤ𝗉𝗈𝗋𝗍𝗋𝖺𝗂𝗍𝗌 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝖽𝗈𝗀𝗌.
ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

▬▬▬▬▬ㅤ 𝐎𝐎𝐏𝐒.

ㅤㅤThat was a word Aura was accustomed to saying a lot of times.

ㅤㅤLike when she accidentally set one of her mother's best shoes on fire trying to fix the wood inside the stove. Her mother arrived at the kitchen, now full of smoke, and all she could say was 'oops' while holding half a shoe in her hand.

ㅤㅤOr when Aura dropped Jack's book in the lake when he was trying to show a part of it to her. She tried to stop it before it touched the water, but ended up throwing it even farther away. All she said to his surprised face was 'oops' before she ran off to ask her father for some money to buy Jack a new book.

ㅤㅤOr when she found out that after five years of knowing him, Aura Mori was developing feelings for Jack Overland beyond their friendship.

ㅤㅤ"Oops." she whispered in her room when she arrived at the conclusion after reading the notes in her study table twice.

ㅤㅤOops indeed.

ㅤㅤSure, that was her objective a year ago, but, seeing as Aura saw him more as a friend now, it was too much for her to deal with.

ㅤㅤIf she was being honest, the girl didn't trust herself with those feelings. Aura had seen how powerful they could be━ people ran away with each other out of love, even Ernest had tried to. But, at the same time, it wasn't really love she was feeling, was it? Aura couldn't be completely sure of that. She was just feeling a bit sensitive from her loss ━although she really rather not even think about Ernest Pritchard, even when she was working with Jack to build a memorial in front of the library for him, it was all too new for her to be comfortable having him in her mind when he wasn't there physically━ and Jack was the only one who gave her the comfort she needed on the right time. Yes, that could be it. That had to be it.

ㅤㅤThe youngest Mori really wasn't ready to be in love yet, she hoped to have a few more years to prepare, that would be great.

ㅤㅤAura was fifteen now, whatever it was that she was feeling would have to be forced away as she was in her age to marry already.

ㅤㅤSpeaking of which;

ㅤㅤHer mother didn't waste any time. As soon as the son of an important business man from her father's job showed himself interested to get to know Aura in person, she forced Aura to eat much more than the girl was used to for an entire week just for the girl to look at least a little chubbier for a date in their house.

ㅤㅤ"Remember," her mother started, raising Aura's arms to be able to adjust the pink dress in her correctly. It was a little loose in the bust and hips since it wasn't made for Aura's body type, which is why her mother had stuffed the insides of the fabric with cotton. "When he arrives, you bow and say 'It is a pleasure to meet you, mister Oxley!', got that?"

ㅤㅤ"Got it." the blonde nodded in affirmation. Just before she could ask anything else about the man, there were three knocks on the front door that made both women jump in surprise.

ㅤㅤAura made a move to get the door, but her mother protested by holding her by the shoulders.

ㅤㅤ"Cosmo!" she called and the man rolled his eyes before he stood up from their father's chair and lazily walked towards the door. Aura and her mother tensed up in anxiety, every slow step of Cosmo's was like torture for the women. Deciding she had enough of his laziness, her mother clicked her tongue and finally snapped. "Get it already, boy!"