"Wait what?"

My band set up behind the stage for our big moment in the competition: our song.

Arlo literally looked like he was going to pass out.

"Arlo are you okay? You look sick, you should sit down." I looked him up and down nervously.

"I'm fine, just a bit scared, let's continue getting ready." He forced a smile on his face and walked off to his drum kit.

I tried to brush the feeling of anxiety off and lifted my guitar from where I had placed it on the wall. I glided my fingers over the strings and adjusted them a bit.

Everything had to be perfect!

The previous competitors hurried off stage with sweat droplets all over them and their eyebrows in a furrowed manner.

"Next competitors please"

A voice echoed through the backstage and one of the security guards nudged us towards the stage.

My breath became shallow as I noticed the stern expressions on the judge's complexions.

However intimidated I felt, I kept professional and walked over to the microphone while Arlo was assisted by a security guard who helped carry his abnormally extravagant drum kit onto the bright-lit stage.

Once everyone had set up, the judges welcomed us with a fake tone to their voices. They told us to begin our song so I placed my fingers over the strings to get ready.

Jazzy started playing their guitar behind me and I began counting in my Que.

Our song was finished and the crowd erupted with applause and whistles.

Most of their faces were censored by the blinding light in my face, however, one person stood out the most: a young man about my age with large crimson wings.

He gawked in amazement and I shot him a smirk. (This wasn't the first time some lime this happened.)

[Time skip]

A little while later, all of the competitors had finished off their songs and all of us were called on stage for the judges to announce the victors.

My arms were linked with Arlo and Jazzy on either side of me. We were all practically shaking in anticipation.

"The winner is..."

I directed my gaze to the floor and shut my eyes tightly.

"Jazzy, Arlo and Nox!"

My eyes shot open and a smile crept its way onto my face. The crowd all jumped around and applauded us.

Jazzy yanked on my arm while hopping excitedly and then pulled all three of us into a group hug.

I didn't even notice all of the other people on stage left, some with tears in their eyes.

"Congratulations you three, you're into the semi-finals." The host came up on stage and congratulated us with a warm smile planted on his face.

[Time skip to after most people had left]

My guitar was flung over my shoulder and Arlo was just finishing packing up his kit. Jazzy had offered to help him so it would take less time.

Once we were all packed up, we headed for the exit door towards the car park where only a couple of dull cars remained.

About halfway to our car, someone stopped us.

"Hey there, I just wanted to congratulate you guys!"

I turned around slowly as the person appeared to me: it was the boy I saw in the crowd earlier!

"Hehe, thanks!" Jazzy still had so much energy after all of that I wondered if they were even human.

"Hey, I was wondering uhhh... Are you doing anything soon?" The boy rubbed the back of his neck and looked away.

"Apart from the UA entrance exams in a few months, I don't have anything planned." I almost choked on my words.

Was I being asked out?

"Wait... You guys are applying to UA too?!" The boy's eyes widened with excitement.

"Wait what?" Arlo asked, confused as always.

"I'm also applying to UA! Maybe I could get to know you guys a bit more before then?"

"Uh yeah, uhm of course!" I stuttered.

We exchanged phone numbers and he shot up into the air, flapping his majestic wings.

We stared at him in awe as he zoomed across the dark, glimmering sky; his wings were so beautiful.

[Timme skip to a day later]

We were about to head out to the next round of the competition when my phone hummed in my bag. I opened it to reveal a text from the boy we had met the night before.

Unknown number: Hey there! miss me?

Nox: Oh it's you, hi! We were just about to head to the semi-finals.

Unknown number: I know, I'm going too. Want me to meet you guys afterwards?

Nox: Yeah sure, I'd love that!

Unknown number: See ya there then ;)

Nox: Bye! 😁😋

I put my phone in my pocket and clenched my keys in my hand.

"Ready to go guys?" I asked the others.

"All set!"

"Yup!"

"Okay good, let's go." I turned the door handle slowly.

I stared in shock at what I saw behind the door.

The boy from yesterday! Again! Walking down the stairs from the apartment upstairs.

I froze in the doorway, "Uhh hey again..."

He turned around with a start.

"Oh it's you guys, I didn't know you guys lived here."

"We didn't know you lived up there either!" Jazzy pointed up at the ceiling with a confused complexion.

"Oh yeah uh I just moved in there, it was close to UA and a quirk gym." He laughed.

As I was taking this all in, Arlo practically screamed in my ear.

"WE'RE GOING TO BE LATE!"

"I'll grab my drawing pad!" Jazzy scrambled through their bag and pulled out a piece of paper and a pen.

They began scribbling something frantically.

"DONE!" They ran down the stairs with Arlo.

I locked up the door and scrambled down the stairs, grabbing the boy's wrist on the way.

We appeared downstairs, outside on the road where Jazzy had a jetpack on and Arlo had transformed into the poor boy who I dragged down the stairs.

He stretched his wings out, still holding onto the case that held his kit and shot up into the air, Jazzy following close behind.

I used the quirk I had just earned from touching the boy's wrist and spread my newly formed wings.

I darted into the sky after the others and we made our way to the competition.

A.n.

Thank you so much for reading part one! I'll clear up my quirk in the next chapter. This is also young Hawks if you didn't already know. Ok this is a bit random but it's also what I kind of want to happen when I shift lol.

Word count: 1117