_chapter five_ besties

It's a lot later in the day, and I'm currently hanging out on Quackity's stream. I don't even know what game he was supposed to be playing, but we're just talking at the moment.

A specific noise sounds through the call as someone joins the call.

"Wilbur? Is that you?" Quackity asks, sounding shocked.

"Quackitee!"

"Wilbuh!"

"Quackitee"

"What brings you to this fine establishment?" Quackity asks, "Besides it being the best twitch channel in the history of the world, of course."

"Of course," I mumble.

"I'm here to talk to my best friend," Wilbur says confidently.

"Aw that's so sweet of-" Quackity gets cut off by the way Wilbur laughs menacingly. "What?"

"Haven't you heard?" I ask him as if this is big news, "I'm Wilbur's best friend?"

"What?" Quackity sounds shocked, probably because we can count the number of times Wilbur and I have talked on a single hand. "Since when?"

"Since about three hours ago," Wilbur explains, "when they picked me over George."

"Okay, well that's not how it really went. Don't get them all excited." I laugh at his over exaggeration. "I wanted to go to Brighton to get some pancakes this morning, and George basically said no."

"Then I took their side and now we're bonded for life," Wilbur finishes the story.

"Why would you need to go get pancakes in Brighton? Do pancakes not exist in London?" Quackity asks.

"They do, but they will never compare to this one place in Brighton." I'm practically drooling just thinking of them. "Those are crave-worthy pancakes."

"I'm not sure if it's the same place, but there's this one place I live by with amazing pancakes," Wilbur adds, "It just made everything understandable."

"And George was rude and wouldn't go with me."

"I can go get pancakes with you, Maia," Quackity offers.

"Or I can?" Wilbur laughs as if it's obvious. "I live there, so it only makes sense."

"Don't gatekeep them to yourself, Wilbur," Quackity argues, "They were George's first anyways."

"Woah dude," I interrupt, "I do not belong to George."

"Yeah, George belongs to her."

As if he was summoned by his name, George joins the call.

"Hello?" he says hesitantly when everyone starts laughing. "What's so funny?"

"Nothing," I cover up.

Wilbur and Quackity follow suit.

"We were just talking about how I replaced you is all," Wilbur says calmly.

"What? You didn't replace me." I can just imagine George shaking his head. "I'm irreplaceable."

"If you say so," I mumble quietly, but of course George always has perfect hearing.

"I heard that Maia," he warns me, "and don't go thinking you can replace me."

"I think Wilbur is doing a pretty good job so far," I go with the bit, "I mean, so far he's answered all my calls-"

"When have you called him?" George asks, reading right through me.

Ah, they're trying to set us up. Of course this means they're somehow completely aware of every conversation we've ever had.

"The times that you weren't there for," I lie.

"Exactly," Wilbur attempts to help.

George isn't fooled. "I don't believe you."

"Well your opinion doesn't matter to me, Georgey." I use the name only his family ever calls him.

He scoffs. "Fine, if you think you can just replace me."

And with those words, he leaves the call.

For a second, I question if he was actually upset or not, but am relieved when I get a text saying it was all a joke. He just wanted to go to bed.

"You just took my views, Maia." Quackity complains. "How dare you."

"It's Wilbur and Maia content, though." I smile as if anyone can even see me.

Quackity jokes it off, and we continue the stream. Quackity ends it and has to leave to go somewhere after.

That means its just Wilbur and I in the call.

"You still there?" He tries to chuckle away the awkward silence.

"Oh just peachy, bestie." I hate that I said that. My entire body does an internal eye roll at myself.

Luckily he just laughs. "So how long have you known George?"

"Too long," I joke, "Since before we were born. Our moms went to school together."

"So you're old too then?" he asks.

"Wow, you really shouldn't ask people their age, Wilbur," I say, "but if you consider twenty-three old, then yes."

"I'm going to say no because that means I'm older than you."

"What? You don't want to be in an elderly home next to George and I?" I ask.

"Can't say I do, actually," he says, "Maybe eventually though. We can all be neighbors."

Wilbur and I talk for a little longer before going to bed. He said he has to go home to Brighton tomorrow morning, so he needs some sleep.

"Want to go back for those pancakes?" he asks before we end the call.

I inhale sharply as I consider the offer. "Can't say I can with the whole faceless thing."

"Just face reveal."

I let out a laugh that's closer to a snort. It's an unfortunate habit I have when it gets later in the night.

"Not sure that's how it works," I say.

"It could be."

"But it's not," I sigh, ready to get some sleep, "Maybe some other time, though."

"Is that a promise?" he asks hopefully, "That I can see your face?"

"Sure Wilbur," I shrug even though he can't see, "If that's what you wish."

"I want to see it before Tommy," he says immediately.

"Okay, I promise to face reveal to you before Tommy."

"Yes!"