_chapter thirty_ plans

I lie in bed the next morning, still thinking about what happened last night. Wilbur's words bounce off the walls of my brain over and over again.

"I wanted to tell you something." He doesn't wait for me to reply before saying, "I wrote a song about you."

The pure thought behind writing a song about someone, about me, makes me feel happy, but another question bounces around in unison.

Who did he write it for?

He had just called me Lilly right before he called me back. Was she on his mind? Did he write a song about how he felt about her that night?

But I wasn't pretending to be anyone else. I was Maia. The same person he had called only a friend a couple days prior.

Does he even consider them as two different people? I know I do.

Maia has always been a pure friend, but Lilly was there for the sole purpose of not being Maia. She was there to be more than friends. Maia is a friend-soulmate, and Lilly is a drunk-love-soulmate. Two separate categories.

And you can't mix those up.

Mixing those up could lead to confusion and not working out. We could lose our friendship, and everything that was once delicate butterflies could blow up in our faces. It seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Which is why I need to remind myself that it's no big deal.

A text from George saying to join discord disrupts my thought process. I shrug as I pull a blanket over my shoulders and head to my computer.

I notice Wilbur on the call, and my heart starts to beat even faster.

Did Wilbur talk to George about what happened, and George decided to take matters into his own hands?

My hands are shaking as I join. I remind myself that it's no big deal.

"Mai, guess what?" George's voice is excited for it being barely after one in the afternoon. Usually he's still asleep now. Or really grumpy.

Either way, the excitement makes me relax a bit.

"Aren't you chipper?" My voice is crackly from it being the first time I spoke in the morning. Neither of them acknowledge it though.

"I went to bed at 5pm last night," George replies as if that's no ridiculously early. "Guess what."

"What?" I mumble, wondering why Wilbur hasn't said anything at all.

"Guess who's coming to London soon?" George asks.

My heart drops. Who else would it be besides the only other person in the call?

We obviously haven't spoken since the phone call last night. I have no idea if he even remembers all of what happened, or if it's all a blur of blackout drunk swirls. I don't really want to be the one who reminds him.

George takes my quiet for being an idiot. "Oh my gosh, you're taking too long," he says, "It's Wilbur!"

"Ohh wow, that's so exciting." I purposely make my voice go a couple octaves higher to feign excitement. "When did you decide that, Wilbur?" I ask.

"Umm." His voice is deep. From the way he's pausing to think about the answer, I would say he just woke up and is hungover. "The band is meeting with some important people next week, so we have to go for a couple days."

I hum a response. "That's cool. That's really awesome for you."

"Are you going to be playing them any songs or just talking?" George asks.