_chapter sixteen_ facetime

The line rings exactly four times before Wilbur picks up.

"Why are you facetiming me?" he asks once he answers.

I smile at the camera. "I thought I would try something new."

"Wow, that's so brave of you." Wilbur chuckles as he settles into a chair. "Is that your room?"

"Mhm, you like?" I move the phone, so he can see my desk set up behind me.

"Very very fancy. I think the underwear really makes it homey.

I blush and move the camera back to my face, trying to play it off. "I try to keep it real, you know?"

"Absolutely." He lets out a breathy laugh. He smiles through the camera.

I get distracted by his expression before remembering the reason I called.

"Oh, guess where I'm going?" I ask him excitedly.

He glances at the ceiling to think. "Antarctica."

I let out a snort at his unreasonable guess.

It might've been a trick of my eyes, but I swear his smile grew a smidge bigger.

"Where are you going?" he asks, his voice a tad bit softer.

I grin brightly. "Brighton."

Now I'm positive his smile was bigger. "Actually?"

"Yeah, I'm visiting my Dad and brother for three days," I explain, "and maybe some other friends to if they're down."

He's quiet, not understanding what I was hinting at. I guess I should be more straightforward than that.

"Do you want to hang out?" I ask flatly.

"Not really."

My jaw drops.

"I'm kidding." He laughs. "I'll take anything time you can give me."

"Then you better clear that schedule of yours next week."

"Done." he says simply, not even caring to check.

"Wilbur, I was just kidding. You don't have to actually clear it." I don't want him canceling something important for me.

"I'm pretty free." He shrugs. "What do you want to do?"

And just like that, we're planning what we're going to do when I visit him in Brighton. My heart flutters and stomach knots in excitement for what's to come.

_author's note_

what's your guy's LEAST favorite candy?