Nightmares And New Powers

Lena's outfit

Alex. Kara. Sam. Ruby. 'Winn'. J'onn. Lena. 'Eliza'. Maggie.

<Thoughts>

TW: conversations about wanting to self-harm.

(Alex's POV)

I wake up to screaming coming from beside me and a sharp kick to the shin. I look around and notice 1. it is 1:18 in the morning and 2. that it is not my wife nor my child beside me but Lena. They are screaming. Without thinking I quickly grab them, wrap my arms around them from behind so they are leaning on me with their back pressed against my chest and gently rock us side to side. 

Lena? Honey I need you to wake up.

They continue to thrash around in my arms.

C'mon Ace I need you to wake up. It's just a dream honey you're safe.

Lena opens their eyes and searches around frantically.

Lexi?    Their breathing heavy and erratic. This is gonna be a long night.

 I'm right here Ace. I'm right here.    I whisper into their ear still rocking us. After about 20 minutes their breathing is back to normal aside from small hiccups and sniffles. I break the silence we sat in.      Hey Ace you feeling better?

Yeah.    They nod.

Wanna talk about it?    They shake their head.     Wanna tell me why your in my bed and not with Kara?

Didn't want to wake her.      They mumble turning to bury their head in my chest then curling up into me while holding their hands in between us. I wrap my arms around them and lean back against the headboard. I comfortingly rub their back with one hand and draw patterns on their arm with the other.

You knew you were going to have a nightmare?

I always do after a visit from mother.       They say sounding more awake.

Why didn't you tell someone? I could have given you something to help you sleep.

I didn't wanna be drugged up or be a bother.

You are never a bother.      They just shrug.       Well when did you come in here?

After Kara went to sleep.

Why didn't you just stay with Kara. Not that I mind I love your cuddles but I'm sure Kara would have loved them more.

I just wanted my Lexi.        They say looking up at me with the saddest face. That's our thing I'm their Lexi and they're my Ace. Nobody else is allowed to call us those names. The first time it happened it was a bit of a shock. We were sitting on the couch after a mission that almost cost me my life and Ace was being a bit snuggly someone who isn't me would call it clingy but I understood. I was about to get up cause I had to pee and I thought they were asleep but as soon as I got up they called out to me saying Lexi. Later I asked them why they called me Lexi instead of Alex or Al like they usually do and they said that I make them feel safe in a way that only Lex had before he turned evil and that since calling me Lex was like calling me a xenophobic murderous terrorist they thought Lexi would fit better. After that I had to find a nickname for them that was only ours and that's when I called them Ace and they said that Lex used to call them The Ace Up His Sleeve. I told them that I could find another name but they said that they liked me calling them Ace so now we are Lexi and Ace.