Chapter 3 - Darcy

As the ball-they called it that with all seriousness-came to a close, Bingley was beaming with his triumphant outing, Miss Bingley and Mrs. Hurst were tired, and I was eager to leave. Mr. Hurst, a lesser element to the party, was drunk, but nobody minded him, and he minded nobody likewise. Bingley was full of energy and ready to conquer two more balls if he could but find them in this desolate place; I, however, wanted to wash the stares of people off me with due heist. If it was too late to trouble the servants for a bath, I would gladly find a pond to drown myself in. Such a place as Netherfield was sure to have a piece of water big enough.

The estate was generally fine; I had commended Bingley on becoming its tenant as soon as I had looked at the place. He did disclose that he had made his decision within half an hour from first seeing it-a rashness which was very characteristic of him-at which I showed some concern, but a brief inspection had detected no serious faults, and I was only left to congratulate my friend on his good fortune. His sisters were of a like mind, but their enthusiasm would have been greater had he become an owner. Then again, after meeting their neighbors, they might reconsider the option of purchasing this very estate. That is, if they could convince their brother to give it up.

"Such pleasant people I have never seen, and I have never felt so welcome in my entire life!" Back at Netherfield, Bingley was still on the subject, scarcely needing encouragement from anyone else. His sisters were stifling signs of fatigue, Mr. Hurst had fallen asleep, and I was somber and not moved by his raptures. He might have felt welcomed; I felt like I could not have a place hate me more had I paid for them to do it.

"Everybody showed such kindness and appreciation that I fear I might become too full of myself. And the dancing-oh, done with such spirit-could not rival any I had before. The ladies here are of such elegance, grace, and natural beauty-I have never seen the like anywhere I have ever been. I felt so free, as if I had been friends with these good people for years and not mere hours. They welcomed me so sincerely. And such pretty girls in one place!"

"For heaven's sake, Charles!" cried Caroline. I am glad she did, for I could not bear it much longer without my ears bleeding from the profusion of happiness.

"Do you disagree?" Charles asked, looking around the room, but his sisters were feeling too delicate to give their true feelings on the subject.

"I dare say you mean you were enchanted by a particular beauty instead of the entire room and your sisters would rather hear the truth of that fact."

"Miss Bennet is a very sweet girl and I pray we enjoy more of her company," said Miss Bingley. Mrs. Hurst agreed.

"She is an angel among women," said Bingley with a dreamy gaze which was an expression I feared. He was rash in all things, but I had never seen him be rash in the matters of the heart. I decided then and there I had to keep an eye on this affair. Hopefully, it would burn itself out, but if not, I was willing to intervene. The smallest nudge was likely to bring Bingley to his senses.

"Do not you think her the most beautiful girl you have ever beheld?" Bingley asked. I was startled to have the question directed at me. Perhaps he valued my opinion a little too much if he could not resolve the issue at hand by himself.

"She is pretty," I said. I could not very well say she was not, thus tainting my famed skills of observation. "But I think she smiles too much."

"She has a wonderful smile," observed Bingley.

"She does smile a lot. Not a tremendously fashionable thing, I admit, but it becomes her country manners and liveliness of spirit." With this, Miss Bingley came as close to opposing me as she ever did, but a glint in her eyes told me she intended to tease me about smiling beauties later.