Chapter 8 - Elizabeth

I was summoned to dinner and got chastised by Mr. Lamb after my reluctance to go.

"Think not so little of our skills in this matter, Miss Elizabeth," he told me with a stern expression. "We are more than capable of taking care of your sister. And as you see, she has no need for company."

Jane was sleeping again, and she seemed to have gone through the worst of it last night, but though she had improved, she was by no means well. But there was another reason for my staying upstairs so much—sitting with the party at Netherfield was a punishment in itself. Perhaps I was just too tired and too worried about Jane, homesick and starved for my usual company. What was sweet Charlotte doing right now? I felt I had not seen her for months, not mere days.

I suffered through dinner, though Mr. Bingley was very attentive to my person, and we all moved to the drawing room. I asked permission for writing to my family and was provided with all the instruments of that occupation. Curiously, Mr. Darcy decided to be likewise employed and where Mr. Darcy went, Miss Bingley surely followed.

They were a curious pair. I had never heard a mention of an official attachment, but Miss Bingley's regard was too intimate for simple friendship. Mr. Darcy's coldness had me reassessing the matter for a moment, but upon closer inspection it was clear that he was grand and cold towards everyone, so it could not be a determiner for his general affection.

I tried to compose a letter to my mother, which required all my powers of delicacy and concentration. Hard work indeed, since I had to listen to Miss Bingley's remarks upon the handwriting or the choice of words of her most favorite person. This was her only employment, and I rather wished that she had joined others for cards, but Mr. Darcy did not beg her to stop and I hardly could have. My chief fear was that she might cross to my side and start comparing our styles. Such insolence and intrusion into my correspondence, I would not take willingly and I was rather surprised that Mr. Darcy had the patience to tolerate her attentions.

"Oh, you are writing to Pemberley," Miss Bingley exclaimed. "Charles, he is writing to Miss Darcy. Your sister is sure to be pleased to receive such a letter. You are a most generous brother to write to her so often. I would never receive so many letters from my brother. He is too careless to remember to write and if he does, his letters are so chaotic that they have no hope to be understood."

This speech was met with no answer.

"Do tell her we miss her exceedingly and that we long to see her," she continued. "Miss Darcy is such a darling friend that I can scarcely think how we have managed without her. Tell her that I am eager to hear her progress on the harp. She is such a talented musician, I am sure she has mastered it to a remarkable level. Oh, and thank her for the miniature that she painted of me. She has such a wonderful eye for color and detail."

"Perhaps, Miss Bingley, given the volume of your messages, you might like to compose your own letter, for I can hardly have enough space for all of them in mine."

I all but choked on my laughter, struggling not to make a sound.

"But I suppose I shall see her soon enough to convey all I wish in person. So kind of her to invite us to Pemberley, it is truly one of my favorite places in all the world. I have never experienced such a combination of beauty, elegance, and nobility. And Derbyshire is certainly the finest county in all of England. Charles, when you decide to have your own house, I do recommend you choose Derbyshire—in this matter I am certain there is not a superior option."

"Derbyshire is a lovely place," her brother echoed.

"And Pemberley's grounds are the pinnacle of magnificence," she continued her raptures.