Chapter 6 - Elizabeth

Dinner was an uncomfortable affair, except for Mr. Bingley's sincere worry over my sister. I loathed to admit it, but my mother did have a point—Jane being stuck in Mr. Bingley's house was a beautifully executed maneuver to bring the pair together. While one was confined to bed, the other was all agitation to see her out of it. If I had any doubts about his regard for my sister, then this was proof enough that we were witnessing a bloom of a happy union. My joy would be immense if Jane was not suffering this very moment.

I gladly left the dinner to run back to Jane as soon as politeness allowed. I was anxious over her and, sure enough, I found her to be just as poorly as before. I wiped her brow with a cold cloth, brought her water to drink, administered Mr. Lamb's droughts, though Jane was reluctant to take any. Mr. Lamb had my trust, at least as far as his trade went. He had taken one look at Jane and sent her immediately back to bed. Of course, his connection with Mr. Darcy made me uneasy, but I had to push all the dark thoughts to the side. Jane needed me and I was here to help in every way that I could—that was what mattered.

I would not mind spending the rest of the evening in my sister's delirious company, but we were joined by Miss Bingley and Mrs. Hurst. That they would leave the company of the gentleman almost surprised me, but I supposed they could not hold on to the approval in their brother's eyes if they did not show Jane every sign of care and affection. This behavior only strengthened my belief in Mr. Bingley's feelings. That I might soon call him a brother was a strange idea. I liked the man well enough, but the company he kept left me uncomfortable.

"Miss Bennet, let me entertain you." Mrs. Hurst sat down next to the bed. "It must be so boring to be stuck in bed with no conversation to be had."

I almost hurled the lady out of the room by her hair—Jane had no need of entertainment; she needed peace and quiet to try to fall asleep after an excruciating day. One of Mr. Lamb's droughts had precisely that effect and I hoped it would show results sooner rather than later. Jane gave her guest a placid smile, but I do not believe she heard a single thing she said.

"Miss Eliza, you must be exhausted." Miss Bingley approached me. "Allow me to escort you to your room so you may get some rest. We will gladly stay with Miss Bennet."

"I thank you, but I am not tired."

"I admire your resilience. It must be a strength gained by enjoying so much of the country air."

I only smiled at her, at a loss for what to say. I had a feeling she was laughing at me, though I could not discern how or why, but I decided not to mind it—her venom was a poor poison and had no effect on me.

"But Miss Bennet is far more delicate, poor thing," she continued. "I believe it is a sign of her genteel soul. At least she can be sure to have such a dutiful sister to take care of her. It must be nice to have so many sisters—your duties in the house spread so evenly that the removal of two is barely missed. If Louisa were to fall ill, I am afraid I could not spend so much time by her side as you have, and if I were to fall ill, I do not believe she would sit by my side much at all. We have far too many duties between us to let them be left unattended. But being sick as a guest must be a much pleasanter experience than being sick with a house to run. At least here Miss Bennet has no duties to perform and nobody expects anything of her."

She prattled in this way for a while, and I could not bring myself to say but a word, nor she expected it, I think. She instead enjoyed her dominance over the conversation, and I let her voice flow. At least it was a soft and quiet voice—not likely to disturb Jane any more than Mrs. Hurst was torturing her.

Annie came and announced that coffee was served, and Miss Bingley and Mrs. Hurst were happy for an excuse to leave the room. I was happy also for them to leave, but in understanding that I was staying, they tried to coax me to go with them.