Chapter 10 - Elizabeth

I found Jane in her room with no fever and no complaints. She was cheerful and even Mr. Lamb allowed her some exercise and company, therefore a decision was made to let her come down to the drawing room after dinner. It was a joyous occasion and I could not keep a smile off my face. Neither could Bingley throughout the dinner, ripe with anticipation.

"Are you sure you are warm enough?" I asked. "Mr. Lamb was very insistent that you stay warm."

"I am very comfortable, Lizzy, you mustn't fuss so."

"Who else will if not me?"

Miss Bingley and Mrs. Hurst supplied the answer, fawning over my sister before the gentleman arrived. That concern evaporated when they did.

"Mr. Darcy, I must know." Miss Bingley sprang on her intended object of affection before he was a few steps into the room. "Are you in the mood for Italian music this evening, for I have been practicing it enough to satisfy even your discerning ear and can hardly be easy before I can hear your assessment of it."

Mr. Darcy waved her away with an imperious air and instead walked over to my sister, considering her more deserving of his attention.

"Miss Bennet, allow me to congratulate you on your recovery," he said with unwavering politeness.

"You look, indeed, very well," added Mr. Hurst.

"It is an occasion of great happiness to see you, Miss Bennet." Mr. Bingley looked close to bursting from happiness. "Allow me to make a correction in your seating. I do believe you will be much more comfortable over here where there is no draught. And when we shall pile up the fire, it will be warmer than any other spot in the room."

His intended furniture curiously admitted very little seating, only enough for two people, and I gave him leave to arrange everything to his liking, after which he engaged in conversation with my sister, clearly parched for her company, and spoke to hardly anyone else.

I could not refrain from smiling, but nobody minded me. I did spy Mr. Darcy looking at me more than I felt comfortable with, but I kept my eyes on a book and ignored him completely. Just like he ignored Miss Bingley by being likewise occupied with a book. She tried and failed to engage him in conversation, she also had no success with her brother, and as her sister abandoned her for the pleasure of music, Miss Bingley admitted defeat and picked up a book herself, though whether she was successful in reading it, was a different question.

"Miss Eliza, is it not a great pleasure to spend the evening reading in this manner?" she asked me after another failed attempt at engaging Mr. Darcy.

"It is," I gave a curt answer, not wishing to be rude, and continued to read.

"So pleasant to be among a company that values books so much. And this is a very peaceful and genteel sort of activity," she continued, and I had nothing to say. A suspicion crept along my senses that she had picked me to be a much more susceptible victim than Mr. Darcy because I could not afford to dismiss her in the same way that he would.

"But it is important, I think, to exercise a little to stay invigorated throughout the evening. There is nothing so disagreeable as seeing the attention waver—when the mind might be overstimulated, it requires pause."

Miss Bingley rose and came next to me. "Come, Miss Eliza, you must take a turn about the room with me."

I rose, though I much rather would have remained seated, and took her hand to circle the room slowly with a careless attempt to admire a picture or a vase in our leisurely stroll.

Where her attempts at gaining attention from Mr. Darcy through conversation failed, her new tactic proved fruitful, for his eyes found us repeatedly and lingered.