Chapter 25 - Darcy

London was my first stop. I thought about imposing myself on Bingley and his family, but considering my recent experience in heartbreak, I decided to delay that particular meeting and instead stationed myself, my doctor and a few suppliers in a hotel—a much better and safer option for such as myself, since maintaining a house in London as a vampire was a hassle of immense proportions because of the security reasons alone. A hotel did more to my safety and anonymity, though its comforts were of an inferior kind.

This was a hasty visit, however, so the comfort was of little importance. My primary aim was to meet with Lord Sidmouth, and when that was achieved, I was happy to depart. Needless to say, Mr. Lamb was not too keen on my hasty departure from Rosings, as it much interfered with his work and the arrangements necessary for his charges, but though I could not claim my rejected heart as a good reason for doing so, urgent vampire business with Lord Sidmouth was all the pretense I required for my actions.

The former prime minister did not make me wait long. He often prioritized vampire business, which was fortunate for me and less fortunate for Wickham. I arrived at the residence in the Palace of Westminster in the small hours of the night, so I was sure it would be a rather formal—if somewhat secretive—meeting.

After the pleasantries were dispensed with, Lord Sidmouth said, "Mr. Darcy, if you do not mind, I would like you to advise me on the finer details of the case."

So it was a case then. Poor Wickham, may all the king's hounds chase him to his ruin. I almost smiled. "The geography, timeline, institutions, and persons involved—to my knowledge, at least—are as I have described. I know nothing more."

"But you have been in Darbyshire and Kent these past months. If you know nothing more, why did you not come forward with this information sooner?"

"I was ignorant of the case when I was in Hertfordshire myself, and was informed of the slander against myself and, by extension, of vampires in general only now. Gossip within society is a matter of course, but since this is a person from the military, there were serious concerns to consider."

"Indeed. The threat from the continent is great enough for us to allow a conflict of severe magnitude within our own country. I am sure you understand our position is precarious, and these sorts of rumors work against us in the most fundamental way. Worse still, if we try to manage the rumors inappropriately. Tell me, who gave you this information?"

I could hardly make that confession. "I must insist that the source remain anonymous."

"But it came from a respectable and trustworthy person?"

Certainly respectable, but would Elizabeth's unwitting testimony, while she was vehemently rejecting my proposal of marriage, would be considered a trustworthy source? No matter how angry she was with me, I could not imagine her lying to me and giving me that speech for her own amusement.

"Yes, it did," I resolved.

"But if the information proves to be false, are you prepared to come forward with that name?"

Fear paralyzed me. The scene of Elizabeth being hauled to this very room to give her account of events and maybe even being punished for it was horrifying. One would hope it would not come to that, but nothing in the world could guarantee it. I was fully prepared to retract my statement, apologize for wasting his time and quickly depart, but I did not get the chance.

"Ah, a lady," Lord Sidmouth said with a knowing smile.

That statement horrified me even more, the truth of which was plainly seen on my face.

"Fret not, I am sure no falsehood was given to you." He rang a bell, and a servant appeared to whom he gave my letter with several instructions. I waited to be dismissed, but instead was offered a seat. "Tell me about her."