16

Chapter 16

We exit the cave with a whoop. We jump up and down and dance but when Adriel exits the cave an alarm rings. The ground starts to shake and a portal opens. They gasp and seem confused. Jillian walks through, a lavender silk dress flowing at her bare feet.

She tilts her head. "I was informed that something belonging to us was stolen, and after I became aware of the contents that had been taken, I knew immediately it must have been you." She puts her hand out, and a light purple ball of energy generates out of thin air. "I am here to heal you all, if you will let me." I sigh out of relief.

"Hang on! Elves and magic exist?!" Alicona screams, backing up frightfully.

"Yes, I was freaked out too, but they won't hurt you." Alicona and Oreno stand shocked and overall confused. Adriel seems passive.

"Why was magic hidden from our world and why are you showing yourself now?" Alicona asks.

"We hid from the world for the world's best interest. Magic would have caused havoc and people would use it for evil. Ramia told us to hide. We are coming out more now because we believe it is time. The world is at war and we are to stop it and save humanity and mythics alike. Sir Adriel, you have one month to end the war before we take over both of the empires." Her voice hardens. "Now, let's head up the ravine and then I will heal each of you."

Adriel growls. "You will do no such thing! I will not back down from this war! I am going to find my keys, and if my knowledge about elves is correct I know you can't interfere."

"You are correct. I can't stop you from doing anything, but I can call on magic. It will do the job for me. As I said, you have a month. You can have your final battle, take hostages, hurt people, and cause problems but only for the given month. You can be a great leader and live your worst dreams, but eventually magic will take over and end the chaos. People will be free from monarchy and have freedom. Take what you are given." Jillian says simply.

"Why you little bitch." Adriel says and draws his machete. "No one and especially no magical creature is stopping me from taking over and being the reigning king."

"Don't threaten her!" I yell.

He drops his machete, spinning around and drawing his gun on me.

"I will shoot you if you disrespect me one more DAMN time! Elf, you have ten seconds to leave and never come back before I blow your brains out."

"Sir Adriel, that would not be wise of you-"

Bang!

Jillian dodges but doesn't completely miss the bullet. It lodges in between her ribs and she falls back.

"No!"

Zyair, Oreno, Alicona, and I ran over to her. Once we get close to her she outstretches her hand, sending a spark flying and healing all of us.

"Jillian, stop! Don't use your strength!"

She doesn't listen and starts to scream, purple mist coming from her mouth and forming a portal around her. Elowin steps through, looking panicked.

"Jillian what- Oh my Ramia!"

Elowin runs over to us and drops next to Jillian. Tears form in her eyes as she picks Jillian up into her arms. Elowin then stands and walks back over to the portal, turning over to snarl at us. I cower away from her, despite knowing her anger is not directed at me.

"This means war." Adriel fires again, but the bullet is deflected, flying into a tree and making a dent in the bark. Elowin then turns, running her hand over Jillian's soft face and plucking a strand of hair behind her ear before turning and leaving. The portal closes behind them.

"What just happened?" Alicona is shaking.

"Why did you do that?!" I scream at Adriel.

"Do not yell at me, boy! You are my captive and you will act like it! Now move! We are going up." He scolds, sounding manic.

I bite my tongue and turn to Zyair. He nods towards the road and I start to walk with him by my side. Silence encases us and I can only think of Jillian. Adriel just started a second war and we are right in the middle of it.

This isn't good.