27. "I had strings, but now I'm free"

You were nervous. You had no idea why. Majority of the people downstairs you knew and were good friends with but there were also a lot of people you didn't know downstairs. That wasn't it though. Deflecting your emotions onto the idea that it would be because you were going to be entering the biggest party you have been to for years wasn't cutting it. You knew why.

It had been 6 hours now since you had texted Bucky and he still hadn't replied to you. It made you sick. God you wish you could stop this. He's fine you would tell yourself over and over again and it was the truth. He can look after himself he's a grown ass 90 something year old man. Deep down you didn't want to admit that maybe the worry was more about yourself than him. You love America and always have. Bucharest was a move that you made to be with Bucky and that's all it was and secretly he knows that. Realistically you're worried that he's going to think you're never coming back. That you would leave him to live here again but why are you so rushed to prove that you won't if there wasn't just a small thought in your mind that you would like to move back here.

Catching a break was something you haven't gotten since you arrived.

You sat at the end of your bed shaking you knee rapidly while holding your phone continuously checking it. The party had already started and echoes of the music downstairs bounced off the walls down the corridor. Taking a breathe in and out to calm your nervous you adjust your seating position on the bed for the 5th time this minute while adjusting the radiant red dress that you've been sat in for the last hour to avoid wrinkles.

As the feeling of sickness began to resurface again the notification sound bounced from your phone and as soon as you saw the message was from Bucky your heart jumped. The message read...

'Fine, have fun'

Now from the outside in that message was very blunt but you knew he had no texting etiquette yet so that was all you needed to calm yourself again. Looking back up at yourself through the double door mirrors, you stand up and begin messing your hair back into place before there was a knock at the door.

"I didn't give you that dress so you can stay in your room and admire yourself in your mirror" Nat jokes as she enters the room.

"I know I just needed a minute. That flight has nearly killed me off I'm so tired" your second lie.

"Well then, lets get a couple drinks down you and wake you up again" Nat says grabbing your hand and pulling you out the room.

"You're forgetting I can't get drunk" you remind her as you quickly throw the phone you had been staring at for the past hour onto your bed. The last thing you needed was to be carrying it around all night now that Bucky's texted back.

"You can pretend" she says sarcastically "I'm not being the only drunk one here" she sates as you smile at her comment.

You and Natasha make your way down to the main part of the party down a flight of stairs arm in arm for support. As you pass various people on the way down ,who where all mumbling to each other in their own conversations on top of the overly loud music, all you could think to yourself was 'don't fall down the stairs'. You've been through a lot of shit in your life but you're still prone to embarrassment. Imagine the first party you go to in months and you fall down the stairs in front of everyone. It doesn't help how Nat's put you in some 6 inch velvet red heels. They looked amazing but deep down they were killing your ankles.

Finally you get to the bottom of the stairs and Nat leads you in the direction of the bar before she lifts a table and goes behind it.

"So, what will it be?" she quizzed.

For a moment you thought before you came to the idea "surprise me" you say with an enthusiastic grin before Nat's face lit up.

"You say you can't get drunk but giving me a responsibility like that I think you very much will be" she laughs before turning to the liquor lined up behind her and getting to work.