Chapter 3 🍂

Hermione wasn't able to fall asleep again that night so she laid awake for hours, staring up at the poster-covered, triangle-shaped roof. The next morning, when George woke up, she pretended to have slept and they headed down to breakfast. 

Their arrival was greeted by cheers coming from Harry and the Weasleys. Ginny ran forwards and hugged Hermione. 'It's a girl!' she cried. 'I'm finally going to have a sister!' 'Oh my god, Gin! That's amazing!' Hermione beamed, jumping up and down together with Ginny. Ron and Harry gave them apprehensive looks as they did so.

A few days later it was the evening before they would go back to Hogwarts. Instead of hand-packing her trunk, Hermione used a spell to fold up her clothes and organise everything perfectly into the large, wooden trunk. Once she was all packed she went over to Ginny's cramped, messy room. 

As soon as she opened the door she instantly knew that it had been wrong not to knock. Ginny and Harry were making out. Harry was shirtless and she was wearing a bra. Hermione made to shut the door quietly; she didn't mind staying unnoticed, but Ginny laughed and said, 'Hermione!' She stopped dead in her tracks, breathing harshly. 

Ginny called again and Hermione slowly made her way back towards the door and peered in. Harry was pulling his shirt back on, blushing pink. Ginny was laughing. Hermione was blushing scarlet. 'I'm sorry-' she began but was cut off by Ginny. 'Hermione- there's no need to be sorry, I mean, the amount of times that I walked in on you and George-' Hermione gave her a mock death glare and left the room.

She went down to the kitchen for her last meal before going back to Hogwarts. Mrs. Weasley had cooked the most delicious lasagne that Hermione had ever tasted in her entire life. When everyone had had enough helpings of custard, the soon-to-be seventh years and George went up to bed while Mr. and Mrs. Weasley stayed down to clean up the dinner mess.

When Hermione walked into her room she found George on their bed, silent tears dropping from his eyes. 'Hermione...' he said. 'We need to talk...' Hermione sat down and stared at George. This had to be a big deal because she had never seen George Weasley cry before. 'There's a girl... she-she- she's a muggle. She lives in a cottage near by, waitresses at a muggle club, you see. I-I-I went there one day and we-we had a one night stand... I-I went back to the club a few weeks later and she told me she-she-she's- Oh Hermione, she's pregnant...' George finished hopelessly.

'Is it definitely yours?' asked Hermione quietly. George nodded, Hermione's eyes were filling up with tears too. 'So you-you cheated on me...' said Hermione, doing her best to hold in her tears at these words. George threw his face into his hands and nodded slightly. 

'I'm not mad,' Hermione said, this was not remotely true- she felt very betrayed by George. 'George, you have to take care of her... How far along is she?' 'Three months and a half,' muttered George miserably. 'Well you should be with her... we have to break up...' said Hermione sadly. George nodded. Hermione grabbed her trunk and ran down to Ginny room. She knocked and when a voice said, 'Enter,' she ran into the room and threw herself into Ginny's arms, crying loudly.

'Honey, what happened?' she asked worriedly. 'George cheated on me!' sobbed Hermione. 'He got a muggle girl pregnant!' Ginny looked flabbergasted. She stood up and marched up to her brother's room. 'Ginny, no!' yelled Hermione after her, but as she had expected, Ginny just kept on going. 

Hermione sat alone on Ginny's bed, sobbing, she heard two voices shouting from upstairs. 'Gin?' asked a voice. Hermione's eyes darted to the door and she saw Harry walking in. 'Hermione?' he said, mouth open. 'What happened?' Hermione explained, feeling nauseous. 'That little-' growled Harry, and he followed Ginny's footsteps. Hermione heard a new voice shouting in the room a floor above her.

 A few minutes later Ginny came back into the room, her face was red from anger. 'I'm so sorry, Hermione...' she croaked, all that shouting had really affected her voice. She cleared her throat and said in her normal voice, 'The little git! I can't believe he did that to you! I swear I will murder him!' Hermione stared at floor, she felt an arm wrap around her and she rested her head on Ginny's shoulder.

She slept in Ginny's bed that night and when she woke up the following morning it was not thanks to Ginny shouting, 'WE'RE GOING BACK TO HOGWARTS! WAKE UP!' but to Mrs. Weasley shouting it. They had a rushed breakfast of bacon and eggs and went to get dressed.

They took the flying Ford Anglia to King's Cross station (its damages had been fixed and the invisibility boost worked once more), Hermione was careful to sit the furthest away from George that she could in the magically enlarged back seat of the car. 

Once they arrived, they took it in pairs to casually lean against the barrier between platform 9 and platform 10 and then slip through, careful not to be seen by muggles. The moment they fell through there was an outbreak of noise. Owls hooting,  friends greeting each other, old friends saying hello.

Mrs. Weasley gave each of them a bone-cracking hug and Mr. Weasley smiled and nodded at everyone. George just lurked behind them, staring down at the platform floor. Ginny hissed at him but he didn't look up. They all said goodbye and then entered the train, peaking into every compartment to find an empty one.

The four friends sat, laughed, joked, and talked almost the whole ride. 'I'm going to go change into my school robes,' said Hermione as they were passing a countryside with many cows that they usually passed a few minutes before they arrived at Hogwarts. 'Oh I'll come too.' said Ginny as she stood up just like Hermione had done seconds before.

They made their way out of the compartment and into the shared bathroom. The bathroom was the same for both genders since there was no point in having different bathrooms to accommodate the students' needs only once a year. Instead there were half a dozen stalls, half of them labelled, 'Girls,' half of them labelled, 'Boys.' 

The girls made their way towards two of the stalls and started changing. They heard someone enter the room and heard a stall door creak. Hermione finished before Ginny so she went up to one of the sinks and started brushing her hair. 

Ginny came out and they left the room. When they were almost back at their compartment Hermione realised something. 'Oh wait! I left my hairbrush in the bathroom. Let me go get it. I'll meet you at the compartment.' Ginny smiled and made her way through the crowd of students. 

Hermione opened the door to the bathroom and gasped. Draco Malfoy was leaning against one of the stalls, he was shirtless and revealed many cuts and bruises all over his body. Hermione didn't know whether to help him, because he was obviously hurt, or to get the bloody hell out before he saw her, staring at him with her mouth wide open.

Hermione didn't want to take any chances so she ran out of the bathroom, leaving the door wide open. She got to the compartment just as the train started slowing down. She opened the compartment door and threw herself on her seat, panting heavily. Hermione hesitated about whether to tell them what she had seen or not. She decided that she wouldn't. 

'Nothing, I just- I just thought that the train was stopping so I-I ran here as fast as I could.' she lied. They all seemed to believe her which Hermione found a great relief. When the train actually stopped a few minutes later, they all pulled down their trunks from the compartment racks above them and made their way down the student-packed train.

When finally managed to get out, they were greeted by the usual, 'Firs' years, fir's years, over here!' They saw their big friend appear out of the crowd and they all went to say hello. After a minute or two of catching up, Hagrid announced that he had to take the first years across the lake so they all said goodbye and started walking towards the carriages.

They found an empty one and climbed in. Everyone around them was gasping and glaring at the Thestrals pulling the carriages; after the war most people could see them. The Thestrals started pulling towards the castle and Hermione wondered rather vaguely where Draco Malfoy had gotten all those cuts and bruises.

Words in this chapter: 1474