Chapter 15 🍂

⚠️ This chapter has content of suicide

Hermione wrapped herself in a scarf as she ran down the stairs of the castle. She wasn't scared of getting caught; soon that wouldn't matter. She sprinted through the snowy grounds, eyes on the frozen lake, her hair flailing wildly behind her in the icy wind. Her feet left deep imprints in the snow, they would be gone by morning.

Hermione reached the ice and carelessly ran towards the middle of the lake. As she ran she saw her whole life flash in front of her eyes, the happy moments, the sad moments, the scary moments, the exciting moments. When Hermione reached the center of the lake she started hitting the ice violently with her fists. She felt tears rushing down her pale face. She knew that this was the only way for her to happy, in that moment that was all she knew. 

The ice slowly started cracking, breaking the dead silence of the night. A scream was heard. Hermione's heart skipped a beat at the sound of her name. She slowly turned her head and saw standing at the edge of the lake, Harry, Ginny, Ron and Draco, screaming her name. 'Hermione, please come here, I promise we'll figure this out, just please, come here!' cried Ginny, tears pouring down her face. 

Hermione's heart broke when she saw Draco's scared face. She hated seeing him like that but she had to this, if only for her. 'Hermione please, we'll get through this, just get away from there!' he shouted. Ginny was sobbing loudly and uncontrollably, Harry was holding her but still staring at Hermione. Ron was shouting for Hermione to get away from the cracks. Draco was paler than always. 'Hermione please, I'm begging you, I can't live without you! Hermione, I love you!' screamed Draco hysterically, he was now crying too. 

These words impacted Hermione. She realised that she loved him too much to hurt him like this. She slowly turned towards her friends and took a step towards them. Everybody screamed for her to keep on going. Ginny was jumping up and down, still crying hysterically. Just as Hermione was about to take another step there was a loud crack and she fell through the ice into the freezing water. There were earsplitting screams and Hermione's friends ran onto the ice to save her.

They frantically brushed snow away from the ice to find Hermione's body. 'GUYS, GUYS, I'VE GOT HER!' screamed Ginny as everyone ran towards where she was kneeling down. Hermione's pale face was vaguely visible through the thick ice. Without hesitation Draco started punching the ice with his bare hands. His knuckles started bleeding at once, he ignored them. The ice he was punching started to crack, his blood immediately filled the water.

Everyone helped to pull Hermione out of the water. Draco checked her pulse and was horrified when he didn't find it. 'She doesn't have a pulse,' he whispered. He started performing CPR, crying loudly. He pushed his lips to hers and blew... Nothing happened. He repeated these steps so many times, though each time, Hermione remained still and dead.

Draco blew into her mouth, tears streaming down his face. Hermione's eyes flew open as she took a huge breath. 'HERMIONE!' screamed Ginny, hugging her best friend, sobbing into her shoulder. When Ginny finally released Hermione the others took turns embracing her. When everyone but Draco had done so Hermione turned to him. She saw that he was wearing a hoodie and pajama pants, meaning that he had jumped out of bed and ran to find Hermione. 

He took his hoodie off, exposing his perfect, bare chest. He slipped the hoodie on Hermione who's teeth were chattering loudly. Draco hugged her tightly, holding her against his chest. 'Let's get you inside,' whispered Draco, standing up. Hermione tried to do the same but felt her knees bend from weakness. She fell onto the ice. Draco understood that she couldn't stand up so he picked her up bridal style and took her to the edge of the lake.

Draco held Hermione against him tightly as he carried her through the icy grounds towards the castle, the others trailing behind them. Minutes later they were standing in front of the doors to the hospital wing. 'Really Draco, I'm fine, we don't need to wake Madame Pomfrey...' Hermione mumbled, but for all notice he took she might as well have said nothing. Draco burst through the doors.

'Madam Pomfrey!' he called and the healer came waddling out of her room. 'Who's dying?' she asked drowsily, bumping into a hospital bed. 'No one's dying but can you please get Hermione checked, she just, er-' Hermione gave Draco a warning glare. 'She, uh, fell in the lake...' he resumed, putting an emphasis on the word 'fell', as to make it really clear what had happened. Madam Pomfrey looked as though she was going to question them but then she conjured a towel out of thin air and wrapped it around Hermione's soaking and freezing body. 

'You poor girl, you'd think that the ice would be strong enough seeing as they're conducting all sorts of activities like ice skating, but no, I still get students showing up at four in the morning,' she mumbled off. The healer led Hermione to a hospital bed and asked her to lay down. She then went to gather equipment from her office, leaving Draco and Hermione alone in the room.

 Hermione wanted to say that she was sorry for trying to leave him, that, had she thought about what she was doing, she would have realised that she was leaving too much behind. She opened her mouth to say something but closed it again. 'I-' she mumbled and Draco's eyes shot up to her. 'I, uh, where are the kids?' she asked, not being able to talk about what happened. 'I dropped them off at Luna and Neville's place...' he replied sadly. 'I reckon they'll be fine there for now.' Hermione nodded.

Madam Pomfrey came out of her office with some medical gadgets filling up her arms. She started taking all kinds of tests on Hermione, checking her for Hypothermia, Frostbite and more. 

After a fair hour she stepped away from Hermione, looking rather satisfied. 'Mrs. Malfoy was very lucky, you'll be glad to hear. She has developed no major illnesses and will probably only get a small cold as a result of the accident.' she diagnosed. Draco and Hermione smiled weakly. 'Though I did see something rather peculiar... You see, Mrs. Malfoy is-'

Cliffy hanger! :D What do you think Madam Pomfrey said? Tell me in the comments >u<

Word count: 1109 <3