C2. What was lurking underneath

8:00 p.m. On the third day.

Today is the third day of the Zodiac Special exam, and we finally had a day off from all those meetings. I've concluded that today is the most important one, as it gives everyone the time to sort out their thoughts and the leaders to catch up with what is happening in the other groups.

Because the exam finished so early for the Monkey and Cow group, Class B is in an uncertain situation. Both groups had one of my classmates as their VIP so, if the traitors actually sent the correct answer to the school, that would be terrible for us. 

This exam didn't even reach its final day, and we could already be with a minus of 100 class points.

"Hahh." I couldn't help but let out a heavy sigh.

Not everything is lost, though. In the best-case scenario, both traitors submitted the wrong name, and we have a plus of 100 class points. But because there is no way of knowing what really happened, all I can do is hope for the best or, at least, that the worst didn't.

I don't like depending on luck, though. I want me and my classmates to reach Class A on our own merit... That's why I'm working so hard.

That's why I'll do everything I can to overturn our situation. 

Now, to avoid such a crushing defeat, we must find the VIPs of at least two other groups. That would at least balance our potential losses. That's what I'm reaching out for.

"You shouldn't shoulder all responsibility, you know? C'mon, let's find a place to relax a little!" said Amikura-chan, taking me out of my thoughts.

It seems that my worries leaked through... That's not good! I should be giving confidence to those around me, not the other way around.

"Hm. How abou-"

"Sorry for disturbing Ichinose, but do you have a moment?" Just as I was about to suggest a place we could go, a very familiar voice reached my ears.

"Oh, Ayanokouji-kun? Don't worry, you are no disturbance at all! Is there something you wish to talk to me about?"

Now looking at him, Ayanokouji-kun looks very different from his usual self. His body and face that always seems so relaxed now have some kind of rigidness. His new posture also makes it look like he grew a few centimeters overnight. His eyes that appear to find everything around him so boring, are now a little sharper.

Even if I noticed all these differences just by looking at him, I can confidently say that he is even more unreadable than before. His voice is a bit more robotic, not giving an inch of his emotions. 

But that is not all...

We are in a group of 5 girls, and none of us noticed his approach. Only after he spoke to me that we realized he was there. 

'Am I overthinking things?'

"That's right. There is a subject I would like to discuss with Ichinose." He spoke undisturbed while my girlfriends kept eyeing him from top to bottom.

His words were precise. He probably wishes for me to separate from my group.

Mako-chan looked at me, and I nodded. She is always quick on the uptake.

"Ara. It seems Honami-chan already found someone else to lift her spirits." Cheekily teased Amikura while giving me a wink. "Let's go ahead first, everyone. We can meet up afterward."

"Thanks, everyone! Let's hang out another time." I bid everyone a farewell and turned to face Ayanokouji-kun. "So, where should we be going?" I asked.

"I was hoping you know a place where no one would be able to overhear us while we talk. I wouldn't mind if we could eat something while at it either."