12.The Red Room

Seven years old Artemis Athena Black stood next to her grandmother, frozen in fear. They were in the middle of the landing place for a plane. Normally the young girl would have been excited and curious to know how these Muggle vehicles worked. But it was a Muggle vehicle. If she even showed a wee bit of wonder she would have to take the cruciatus curse back home.

And that was definitely less exciting.

It was a warm day the sun stood high above them. The blue sky was as clear as water. That wasn't the usual weather in England. Only they weren't in England, they were in Cuba.

"Grandmother-" Artemis was thirsty and was confused as to why they were on the other side of the world. But she was cut off by her grandmother's harsh and cold voice.

"Quiet, child!" The older women hissed. She had white hair which was pulled back into a tight bun. She had wrinkles but not around her eyes, because she was laughing often, but wrinkles around her mouth corners. Her lips were always in a tight line, and her poison-green eyes looked straight ahead.

Artemis looked down in obedience and waited. The question was: What was she waiting for?

After ten minutes of Artemis imagining how she could best remember the different plants from her Herbology book, a plane was landing in front of them. Artemis' grandmother straightened and for the first time in Artemis' whole life she saw the lips of her grandmother form into a tiny smile. But why? What was about to happen?

By the minute Artemis grew more anxious. Should she be excited? Was her grandmother smiling because the event that was about to take place was going to be that amazing? Or should she be terrified for her life?

Out came a men who had white hair which was swept to the side with large Black glasses. The men was wearing a blue tuxedo which only showed how big his belly really was and had many rings on his fingers. He had a maniacal grin on his face and that made Artemis back away in fear but her grandmothers tight grip on her shoulder prevented her from going away any further.

"This is her?" No greetings. Just straight to the point. Artemis noticed that he spoke funny. It was a Russian accent. After her mother's death her granny barely let her out, let alone speak to people. It didn't even matter if they were pure-blood. Her grandmother would always say that the more you care the weaker you get.

"Yes. Now hand over the weapon. She shall began her training tomorrow." Nemesis said. She like being called Nemesis when she was around people she could "tolerate". Like the Greek goddess Nemesis. Because Nemesis didn't care about feelings. There was only justice.

"Subject 123!" Immediately a young girl about Artemis age came out of the shadows. She was probably one year olde then her. She had blonde hair pulled back into a bun with plaits in it. Her green eyes were trying to be emotionless, but Artemis saw herself in her. Curious but not allowed to ask questions. Comply and there will be no consequences. Love is silly. It is for children. All you can rely on is yourself. Survive, don't live.

Was this girl like her?

Nemesis let go of her grandchild and the men was putting his hands behind his back. Hesitantly she stepped forward, not sure what to do, but when neither moved to correct her actions she continued until he stood in front of general Dreykov.

He took his face in his hands and looked directly in her eyes, like this would stick with her forever.

Technically it did.

"The Red Room is your family now."