14 | Accept It

Meeting Arnab's mother shouldn't be this tough. Not when Shay has spent the last one week rehearsing the visit in front of her bathroom mirror. She knows the drill to keep the sweet smile plastered on her lips, be polite, speak less, listen more, keep your cool, and at no time let them see through your façade. 

Somehow, the mask seems to be falling off her face this time. Now, whenever she stares at her reflection in the mirror, a layer of pretense peels off. Shay wonders what will become of her once all the layers she has put together in these years comes off. Will she once again become that miserable, soulless creature caged in the darkness of grief? Or will she come off as a survivor?

Then again, her mind can't stop thinking about the one responsible for these emotional ripples inside her.

Ryan.

She doesn't have to keep thinking about him but can't seem to stop herself either. Ryan has no right to give her the reality check. Not after all these years. He has no right to rock the foundation of her newly built life. But Shay can't ignore how shaky this new foundation is, either.

Shay screwed up big time again. Her soon-to-be mother-in-law can't look at her without showing displeasure. Though, Shay gets where this is coming from.

Paulomi Banerjee is the epitome of beauty, a famous model of her time, and even now, she owns a fashion studio downtown transforming girls into beauty icons. So, it's not easy to accept a girl with a scarred face as her daughter-in-law. Shay gets it, but damn, it burns her inside when she sees that disgusted look on her face.

"I won't lie, Shay," Mrs Banerjee says in a balanced tone. "I wasn't happy with my husband's decision at first. When he chose you for my son, I straight-up rejected the proposal."

The smile on her face as she said those disrespectful words shows how very unapologetic she is for belittling Shay. The dinner was Arnab's idea to bond more with his mother. For Arnab, everything is business, and so is for his mother.

It's always the same Indian Restaurant at the heart of New York City. From the murals on its walls to the silvers on their plate, every detail speaks of ethnicity. The place is literally called mini India. All five-star ratings in Google. But nothing tones down the shame, the humiliation that Shay feels every time she meets up with the woman.

Arnab seems unhinged from his mother's comment. Why would he? After all, he isn't the one with a scar on his face. Shay, however, doesn't let her words affect her self-esteem and let her words slide down her smooth edges. She cuts a clean slice from the barbecued pineapple on her plate and stuffs her mouth to prevent the comeback dangling in her throat.

"You're so lucky to have my son as your man." Mrs. Banerjee squeezes Shay's hand on the table and gives a proud nod at her son. "He made me realize what a smart, independent, and talented lady you are. His love for you won over all my doubts."

That. And the fact that Shay's father saved his father from going into jail for not paying the taxes on time. For them, her job as a business analyst has very little to do with her smartness.

Shay almost laughs at the 'love' word coming from her lips. Arnab doesn't even know Shay is allergic to spinach. Otherwise, he would have never ordered spinach ricotta lasagna in the first place. But on the other hand, Shay doesn't even expect love from him or anyone else.

"Shay, you're not eating," Arnab states, gesturing towards her untouched plate. He scoops a spoonful from his and brings it to her lips. She would have found it romantic if she wasn't allergic to the vegetable.

"I'm still allergic to spinach." Shay pushes his hand subtly and the embarrassed looks on their faces are totally worth it. She mentioned her allergy to him on their first date.