Epilogue | Dear Aarav

7 Years Later

Dear Aarav,

It's been a while since I wrote a letter and probably the only one I will be writing to you. I know you always found it lame. I won't blame you, though. The one mom left for us was super depressing and painful. I think that's why you hated letters. But anyway, Dr. Jay says, I should write you a goodbye letter as this may be our full closure.

I highly doubt it.

Let's admit it. No one ever forgets their other half, goodbye letters or otherwise.

Today's August 8th, the twins turned four today, and you probably wouldn't believe it, but they looked exactly like us while blowing the candles. Raina glares like Shay, and she has her eyes. But Aarav has your smile. He loves to play drums as you did, and dad's always tough on him just like he was on you. And he has your name.

The first time I held the twins in my arms, I remember saying, "Aarav," when I looked at our baby boy. Shay cradled him against her chest and repeated your name again and again until her tears followed a soul-deep smile, and that was the last time I saw her cry, taking your name. Now, every time she calls your name, it's with a hopeful smile. God, what wouldn't I do to preserve her smile?

Sorry for swooning over Shay. I'm a prick, I know. But hey, she is my wife. So, I guess I'm allowed to.

Also, you've to trust me when I say this - Dad loves you the most. Everyone loves you, Aarav. And over the years, I've come to realize that you're never really gone from our lives. We came into this world together, and I'll always carry a part of your soul within me.

I sometimes feel angry at God for giving us such a short time together. I had so many things in mind to do as twins. Getting married together. Raising our kids together. Living our dreams together. And most of all, getting old together. I had a vision last night of us sitting at the dock, two gray-haired twins with wrinkly skin and shaky limbs, laughing at our grandchildren swimming in the lake. However, when I woke up, it was just me, still in my thirties and having long years ahead of me without you.

And that is when the pain returned, followed by an untamable urge to reunite with you. But I am staying, Rav. You have to wait a little longer. I can't leave when I have Shay, the twins, and our small family who need me to be there. Not when I'm loved too.

I believe we are soulmates, and soulmates always find their way back to each other. Until then, I want you to know that I always keep you alive in me.

I know we'll meet again. Perhaps in the afterlife or another lifetime.

When I finally meet you, I know you will make a fuss about why I couldn't meet you sooner. And I hope you understand when I tell you- A part of my soul has always been with you.

Love always,

Ryan

***

Author's Note: This concludes 'Soulmates' and I couldn't have done it without all the love and support you've shown for it. It has come a long way since I first started this story as a rough draft. Thank you so much if you're still part of this journey!!

I want to take this moment and extend my gratitude to my amazing mentor beautlies for being my guide and helping me bring this story to shine. She's the best.

On this note, I would love to know your thoughts and feedback on this story. Please add your comments, votes and share it with your friends if it touched your heart in any way.

Signing off. Until next time!!

xoxo