Epilogue | Forever

One year later

"I love you, Shay. I love you so much that my heart feels so heavy. I loved you back then, I love you now, and probably I will love you forever. And back then, I didn't know what it really meant to fall for someone with every cell of your body, but now I know. I'm in love with you, I need you, and I want you. I don't think it is possible for me to love someone else as much as I love you."

The ballroom erupts in happy cheers as Ryan confesses his love on the stage before bringing her knuckles to his lips and placing a long kiss. Shay can't believe it has really happened.

They're going to have their forever.

They're engaged now.

When Ryan said he had a surprise for her at the party, she didn't expect him to announce their marriage to the world. More surprised that he actually went down on his knees this time and asked her to marry him. And the yes came out of her lips almost on instinct. They had been delaying the marriage over a year due to one or the other reason. She doesn't want to wait anymore. I love you, Shay reverberates through every corner of her heart, filling it with so much love that her chest expands to accommodate them within it.

It's magical, surreal, and so very novel feeling that her eyes keep staring at his happy face even when he jumps off the stage and holds up his hand for her. She can't stop the smile breaking past her lips as her gaze lands on the infinity ring on his finger, an exact replica of the one on her finger.

This ridiculously handsome man in tailored black tuxedo, the man who shares the same scars as Shay, is her forever song, her happily ever after. Shay can see how determined and hopeful he is about their new beginning in his midnight black eyes.

The sound of laughter, clinking of glasses and soft jazz music charges the atmosphere with celebration of their communion. Her eyes move to the table in the middle of the dining room, where her parents and Ryan's dad are engaged in a happy conversation.

Her gaze briefly meets them, and she can see pure, unguarded satisfaction in their slightly teary eyes. She nods at them, wiping away the tears falling from her own. It is what they've always wanted- to see her moving on from the agony of her past.

And just like that, every other sound fades to the background. The faces blur, and the ballroom turns into a haze. She feels like her younger self with no scars and no loss as he walks up to her wearing his favorite black hoodie, his hair messy and his lips twitching with his signature mischievous smile. Aarav - her first love taken away in a treacherous twist of fate, stands before her, staring directly at her face.

Her heart falls with an agonizing thud, knowing this is just a moment in her mind, an illusion. Silent tears stream down her face as she scoops up the layers of ruffed lace and takes a step forward. Aarav reaches up to brush away the tears cascading down her eyes and shakes his head.

"Stay happy," he mouths, with an upward tug of his lips, then disappears into the mist from where he came, back into her subconscious.

Only this time, Shay knows it is a full closure. Their story was one of friendship, love and laughter. That's what she will remember from now on, not pain, loss or longing.

Her anchor returns as Ryan wraps his arms around her middle, pulling her back against his chest and syncing their heartbeats. It's their therapy when either one of them seems to spiral into the shadows of the past.

"Are you crying because you're stuck with me forever?" He yanks her closer, his breath at her ear as he wipes her cheeks.

Shay twists in his hold to throw her arms around his shoulders and buries her face in his neck.

"You complete my soul." She kisses his neck and whispers in his ear.

"You're my happy dance." Ryan mumbles, kissing her hair. His chest rises and falls as he inhales, holding her like his life depends on her.

Then, the DJ plays Hunger by Ross Copperman, and they smile at each other, knowing it's their song. As they pull each other close, their bodies fall into a perfect rhythm, so do their hearts.

One look and I can't catch my breath
Two souls into one flesh
When you're not next to me
I'm incomplete

'Cause I'm on fire like a thousand suns
I couldn't put it out even if I wanted to
These flames tonight
Look into my eyes and say you want me, too
Like I want you...

They move together, their hearts setting the pace and their love guiding the steps, waltzing across the floor like two souls drunk in love, happy and living their dream.

***

The End

Author's Note:

I wasn't planning to update the epilogue this soon but I had to get it out of my system before it got too overwhelming. I'm so happy that this book has everything I want in a story. I hope you feel the same after reading it.

If you don't then I'm here for it. Let me know what is missing. Help me out in making it up to you and maybe leave some comments, votes and your thoughts along the way.

Signing off. Until next time!!

 Until next time!!