6: Hospital and Story

*Carlisle's POV*

"Will that be all Doctor Cullen?" a high-pitched voice squeaked from in front of me. It was Betty, one of the nurses at the hospital where I'd been working for the last few months. I gave her a tight-lipped smile and nodded before signaling her to leave, she giggled, which she believed was attractive, and sauntered out of the room with an unattractive sway of her hips. When my office door clicked closed, I shivered and cringed before pinching the bridge of my nose in irritation, she had been trying for the last month to get my attention, but it was starting to sicken me.

I sighed deeply and my gaze drifted to my bare left hand, it had been many years since I had worn my wedding band, and I had taken to not wearing it as it was somewhat difficult to explain how I was widowed at 25 with five adopted children. Though that did not stop me from wearing the same band on a chain around my neck, although it was times like this that I wished I did wear it.

A sharp three knocks came upon my door, gaining my attention, "Come in," I called and cleaned up the few papers that were scattered along with my desk.

My door opened to reveal the Chief, Doctor Martins, entered. He smiled joyfully and closed the door with a soft click, "Doctor Cullen," he greeted, "I thought I'd come and tell you personally that we'd be getting a new doctor as of today."

This was news to me, besides me, Forks hasn't had a new doctor in years, "How lovely, may I ask what their profession is?" I asked and folded my hands on my desk.

"Her profession is a double board-certified OB/GYN, subspecializing in maternal-fetal medicine/, a neonatal surgeon, and a medical geneticist," he explained, "She's the new head of OB/GYN and Neonatal Surgery, and she's a little younger than you."

This shocked me, a woman who was younger than I – in human years – was specializing in three different fields. It was quite a shock, "That's amazing," I awed in shock.

"It is," Doctor Martins chuckled, "With her here, many patients from around the world will come to Forks to receive treatment from her."

"Well, I hope to meet her soon," I expressed happiness in the fact there would be another intelligent mind to converse with.

Doctor Martins smirked, "Well, she will be introduced at the gala next month," he said, "I'm allowing her to take some time to adjust before throwing her into work," he then pulled a thin envelope out of his suit jacket before throwing it to me. I caught it with ease, giving him a quizzical look, "Every doctor must be in attendance, even you Carlisle," he turned and walked towards my door, "I'll see you there," he left, and my door closed with a soft click.

I stared at the envelope with a sad sigh, I didn't want to go but I needed to attend like every other doctor and nurse. A small chime came from my phone that sat in my pocket, I pulled it out and saw it was a text message from Alice, it made me smile.

Alice: I already sent your suit to be tailored. You're not getting out of it.

I sighed and chuckled silently as I began to text back. As I was halfway through my message, I caught a whiff of a familiar scent.

Caramel and vanilla.

A scent I haven't smelt in a long time, I quickly jumped from my office chair and rushed out of my office, I looked down both ways of the open ward, and my nose could easily distinguish the scent amongst the smell of blood and chemicals. I speed-walked down the hall, with my phone in hand so if anyone questioned, I could easily provide an excuse.

"...it'll be such a pleasure to have you here with us..."

The familiar voice of Doctor Martins came from around the corner, I paused in my hurry and hid slightly behind the corner, I could only see Doctor Martins from my spot so I leaned a little further and saw the back of a woman's head. They were standing in front of the elevator laughing, "I'll walk you to the entrance," Doctor Martins offered as they stepped into the shiny lift.