12: Trying

*Third POV*

After Carlisle and the Cullens left her home, Beatrice found herself alone in the silence of her mind. She stood in the middle of the room, feeling the weight of their departure pressing down on her heart like a heavy burden. As the reality of their absence sank in, Beatrice felt her composure begin to crumble. Christian stood and walked to stand next to his mother, "Momma?" he called trying to get her attention.

He placed a gentle hand on her shoulder and she broke, venom welled up in her eyes, and she sank onto the nearest chair, overcome with a flood of emotions. She buried her face in her hands, trying to stifle the sobs that threatened to escape her lips. The ache of Carlisle's sudden appearance was almost unbearable, a sharp pang of loneliness piercing through her.

Memories of their time together flooded her mind – the laughter, the warmth, the sense of belonging she had felt in their presence. And now, he was gone, leaving behind an emptiness that seemed to echo in every corner of the room.

Beatrice clutched her chest, feeling a tightness constricting, Christian was quick to embrace his mother and shushed her gently, "It'll be okay, momma," he whispered as their family surrounded them and enveloped them in a hug, "I promise."

Beatrice inhaled deeply and wiped her face trying to gain her composure, "Ian, Mateo," Christian called, they looked at him, "I want to go speak with them, if mom is okay with it?" he questioned looking down at her. Beatrice thought for a moment before standing to her feet and bringing Christian with her, she smiled and ruffled his hair.

"That's fine, sweetheart," she stated, "I'm going to hunt and then shower," she sprinted away and the rest of the clan filed out of the house and to the Cullens.

-Time Skip_

As days passed, Beatrice found herself actively avoiding Carlisle, her heart heavy with conflicting emotions. Every time she saw him at the hospital, she felt a knot form in her stomach, a mixture of guilt and unresolved feelings churning within her. She would purposely choose different corridors or busy areas to navigate, hoping to steer clear of any encounters with him. When their paths inevitably crossed, she would offer a polite but distant smile, before hurrying away, unable to bear the weight of their unspoken tensions.

Irritated with the avoidance, Carlisle made it his mission to confront her. As Carlisle approached Beatrice at the hospital, he noticed her deliberate avoidance. As he found her behind the nurse's station at the photocopier, he could sense the tension in the air, and it weighed heavily on his heart. He took a deep breath, gathering his courage, and approached her quietly.

"Beatrice," Carlisle said softly, trying to catch her attention.

Beatrice glanced up briefly, her expression guarded. "Carlisle," she replied curtly, focusing on the papers in front of her.

"We need to talk," Carlisle insisted, his tone gentle yet firm.

Beatrice sighed, her shoulders tense, "I'm busy, Carlisle. Can't this wait?"

"It can't wait anymore," Carlisle replied, his voice tinged with urgency, "We can't keep avoiding each other like this, especially not at work."

Beatrice hesitated, her gaze flickering between Carlisle and her work. Finally, she relented, realizing that avoiding the conversation would only worsen things. "Fine," she said, her voice resigned, "Let's talk."

Carlisle led her to a quieter corner of the hospital, away from prying eyes and ears. He took a moment to gather his thoughts before speaking. "Beatrice, I know things are going to be difficult between us and it's tearing me apart inside."

Beatrice looked away, her expression pained. "I know," she admitted softly. "I've been feeling it too."

Carlisle reached out, gently taking her hand in his. "I miss us, Beatrice. I miss the connection we used to have, the way we could talk about anything and everything."