THREE

"Who is the Volturi?"

"What?" Jasper furrowed his brows and peered at the girl.

The couple sat together on the couch. Jasper's arm draped casually over the girl's shoulder while she rested her head on his shoulder. She sat up from her position against Jasper, looking back at him with curious eyes. He tilted his head at her, questioning how she could have known about them

 "How did you-" 

"I came home today and Isacc Roberts was sitting in my kitchen."

"I see," He replied, "they're no one important enough to worry about."

"You're lying." Luna challenged.

The blonde chuckled "Oh really?"

She nodded "You definitely are."

"Fine then, Miss Know-It-All," Luna shoved him lightly but waited for his response, "They're the oldest of my kind... The oldest vampires, I mean. They have the most control and power out of any other clan."

Luna asked, "How does your family know them?"

"Well, all vampires know who they are." He explained.

"But Issac said your family knows them well..."

Jasper corrected her, "Carlisle knows the Volturi well." 

"How is that even possible? Haven't vampires been around for like... ever?"

"How old do you think Carlisle really is?"

"I never really thought about it. I guess I just always assumed he was your age." She told him, referencing the siblings.

Jasper shook his head, looking at the human. She took a glance around the room. At that moment, the blonde stood up and held out his hand to the girl. She immediately took it and felt herself being pulled up from the couch. He gestured for her to follow him.

"Let me show you something."

Jasper held her hand while he walked her into Carlisle's study. She let go of his hand as she explored the room, taking note of the cleanliness. The girl walked over to his bookshelf, reading some of the hundreds of titles on the shelves. She also noticed the paintings on the walls. 

She furrowed her brows as she stopped in front of one in particular. 

"Is that-"

"Carlisle," Jasper completed for her, "and the Volturi." 

"I don't understand," Luna questioned.

"He was one of them."

She studied the painting. On the canvas were four men, three of whom were looking down on people below them, in the back stood Carlisle. All of them were wearing old-fashioned clothing while the people wore clothes in a similar manner. She wondered when the piece was painted. She imagined it was the same age as Jasper, if not older.