Chapter 2: New Beginnings - Part 2

NARRATOR POV

Jin stood there with his hands protecting his face and had both eyes closed, but when he heard some rustling noise, he slowly opened his eyes.

Jin surveyed his surroundings with his usual blank expression, not showing a hint of emotion to give away what he was thinking. He looked down at his hand that was bleeding, to see that the bleeding had now stopped and that there was a strange glowing symbol.

 He looked down at his hand that was bleeding, to see that the bleeding had now stopped and that there was a strange glowing symbol

He continued to look at it until the glowing stopped. For some reason he was compelled to hide the mark, so he took off his tie and wrapped it around his hand to cover the mark. After that was done, he looked around and the first thing he saw was a giant mural, depicting an androgynous person with long golden hair and a faint smile, in front of an aureole.

??: Heathens

Jin blinked confused when he heard the voice, but it was barely above a whisper. It sounded female and held such elegance and gentleness to it. He pushed it to the back of his head for later inspection.

After carefully surveying his surrounding, he found that they seemed to be in a huge hall. He assumed the hall was made out of marble. The whole building was emitting a beautiful luster. The whole place naturally looked like a cathedral and had a very solemn atmosphere.

It seemed like Jin and the others were located in the deepest part of the building, on top of a pedestal that was higher than the surrounding area. Jin looked around and he could see his classmates had dumbfounded expressions. Apparently, all the students that were present in the classroom at that time was caught in this situation. Jin looked to his side and saw Hajime sighing in relief when he saw Kaori unharmed.

After that, perhaps looking for an explanation, everyone gradually shifted their attention to the people around the pedestal. There were at least thirty people that had both hands crossed in front of their chest and kneeled as if they were praying. All of them wore a white robe that was embroidered with gold, and they had a staff right next to them. The tip of the staves spread out like a fan, and in place of the ring, several pieces of circular disks hung on top of it. Jin already had a feeling they were the ones responsible for everything.

 An old man around the age of 70 stepped forward, his attire was extremely luxurious even among the white-robed group. He seemed to have a domineering aura around him. 

Ishtar: Welcome to Tortus, Hero, and his companions. We were expecting you. I am the currently appointed Pope of the Saint's Church, you may address me as Ishtar Lombard. Let's get along from now on, no need to exchange conventional greetings.

 Let's get along from now on, no need to exchange conventional greetings