Chapter 7: Void

NARRATOR POV

When the group returned to Horald, they returned to their rooms without much spirit. There were a few students that discussed with each other, but most of the students had already fallen asleep on their beds.

And then there was Hiyama Daisuke. Outside of the inn and located at a corner of the town he sat there. He and Nagano choose an inconspicuous place to sit with his hands hugging his knees. Buried between his knees was his face which was very still. If his fellow class saw him, it would look like he was depressed that one of his classmates had passed. However...

Hiyama: Hi, Hihihi. I-It was his fault! For a small fry...h-he got carried away...i-it was divine punishment. I'm not wrong...it was for Shirasaki's sake...that small fry...is no longer a concern...I'm not wrong...hihihi.

Nagano: Yeah a-nd that bastard outcast! It's not lik-e someone will miss him.

Nagano who was sat next to him with his hands on his face.

With his dark smile and dull eyes, he tried to justify himself.

The fireball and wind ball that veered off course and hit Hajime, Jin, and Emiliana was cast by Hiyama and Nagano. The escape to the stairs and rescuing of Hajime, the sight of Hajime and Kaori's night rendezvous, Hiyama heard a devil whisper to him. If I killed him now, no one will notice. At that moment he sold his soul to the devil. Nagano on the other hand was still angered from the humiliating beating he got at the training field.

To not be discovered, Hiyama and Nagano timed their shot very carefully and lead their fireball and wind ball to Hajime, Jin, and Emiliana. In that chaotic barrage, it would be challenging to work out who cast what. He chose the fireball because his aptitude was the wind. There would be no evidence or suspicion. Hiyama told all of this to himself as he gave off a dark laugh.

Someone at that moment called out to them.

??: Heh, it really was you two. The first murder from another world is a fellow classmate and a princess...you two did quite well!

Hiyama: W-Who?

Nagano: H-huh?

Hiyama and Nagano backed away in a panic. The one who hailed them was a classmate they knew.

Hiyama: Y-You, what are you doing here?

??: Don't worry about such a thing. Rather than that...Murder-san? How do you feel right now? How does it feel to kill off a love rival in midst of the confusion? And how does it feel to get revenge?

That person laughed a little. Like he had just seen a comedy.

Nagano: Is this your true nature?

The stunned Nagano muttered. A condescending scoff could be heard from the person.

"Nature? It's not anything complicated like that. Isn't it common to have a few secrets? More important than that...what would happen if I spread this to everyone? Especially...if she heard it.

Hiyama: S-Such a thing...No one would believe...and the evidence?"

??: None, but they would believe my words. At that moment, do you think your words would be good enough?

Hiyama was cornered. The words were used to tease the already weakened mouse. No one would have imagined that this fellow could be like this.

Hiyama: What do you want?

??: Regrettable. It would seem like I'm threatening you, isn't it? Fufu. It's not like I want something from you right now. For now, all you have to do is be my hands and feet.