Chapter Twelve

Sorry this chapter is short. 

12. THE DISAPPOINTMENT OF A LIFETIME

I was now convinced that I had the worst luck in the world.

            “Miss Emilee, you have been asleep for the past two weeks because your body has been fighting a loosing battle-”

            “Well, yeah, I know that already.” I sent him a weird look. “I could feel it, you know. It was in my body. Dumb elf.”

            The doctor looked slightly scandalized. “Right. Eventually your vampire genes produced cells that fought your original ones, and they won since they’re the dominant species. Therefore, you are now a fully-fledged vampire.”

            “A vampire?”

            “Yes. A vampire.”

            I paused, thinking it over. “Like him?” I pointed to Christopher.

            “Yes, Miss Emilee. You are a vampire.” The elf doctor looked like he was getting annoyed with my constant pointless questions. My face fell at the news.

            “Oh.” This sucked. All I wanted was to be a faerie. “That is so cliché! I don’t want to be a vampire! I want to be a faerie- or at least smurf! Why is my life so unfair?”

            In the mist of my little breakdown, the doctor smiled. “You are the mate of the Crown Prince of Astria, Miss Emilee. Rulers of countries in our world are always the same species as what they rule over. Every Crown Prince of this land has had either someone of their species or a human as their mate to keep the line pure. It was destined for you to be a vampire, regardless if we had to turn you or not. It’s just been convenient that you have vampire lineage.”

            “That is so racist!” I whined, feeling a bit like a spoilt child. “I wanted to be a faerie! And your theory doesn’t work because Jonathan’s mate is a witch, and he’s a prince!”

“Jonathan isn’t next in line,” Christopher reminded me.

“But he could be.”

“But he isn’t, so it doesn’t work that way with him and his mate. It’s only the true heir.”

“Like I said, this just sucks! Period!” I sunk back into the sheets of my bed, finally realizing that I was back in Christopher’s room. AKA the room I lost my virginity in.

That’s a nice thought.

“What the hell is this weird feeling I’m getting? It’s like something’s trying to suck me down a damn pipe!” I asked, deciding to change the subject. My complaining wasn’t getting me anywhere.

“That, Miss Emilee, is your connection to your parent. It confirms my suspicion that your father is still alive out there somewhere. We will be able to track him now- well, that’s if he doesn’t come here first. Now that your vampire side has been awakened, he will be able to feel you just as much as you feel him. Only he will also have the intense need to protect his child,” the elf doctor explained.

“Great,” I said sarcastically. “Not only am I now going to start feasting on blood, but some crazy sperm donor is going to come and attack me or something. That is not cool, man!”

“I will protect you,” Christopher cried fiercely.

I looked at him like he was an idiot- which he was- before scoffing. “Like I need you to protect me. I can do perfectly fine on my own, especially now that I’m a vampire. I’m going to be like the chick from Resident Evil!”