Chapter Sixteen

16. No Choice in the Matter

Christopher sat across from me in the limo, his phone pressed to his ear. He was talking in some sort of weird language that I, obviously, couldn’t understand. Maybe that was the reason why he was using it- so I had no idea what was going on.

            That dolphin-humping fiend!

            “Okay, I’ll see you at the castle,” he finished the conversation in English. Not that it helped me much. Or at all.

            “What’s going on?” I asked after he put his phone away. His emerald eyes pierced into me as he stared for a second before answering.

            “I can’t tell you much, but my dad is really angry so when we get home I want you to go straight to our room.” It was an order, not a request, and I nodded my head. I couldn’t imagine King Edward as anything but bubbly and if he was anything like Christopher when he was angry…

            There were going to be things broken.

            The limo pulled up in front of the castle and, surprisingly, there weren’t any protestors this time. Maybe even they could sense the dark cloud of vengeance that encompassed the castle like a fur coat. The guards had an uneasy look on their faces as they led us through the gates. Sebastian was waiting for us with an equally grim expression. He must have arrived before us.

            “Keep quiet and stay by my side the whole time,” Christopher whispered and wound his arm around my waist. I frowned but did as he asked, too freaked out to fight him at that moment.

            I’d associated the castle as a grand, regal and happy place, but right now it stood terrifying and tall. It loomed over us as a dark shadow that made me shiver.

            “I don’t understand what’s going on,” I whispered.

            “All will be revealed soon, I promise, but you need to let us and the council figure some stuff out first,” he said and kissed the top of my head. “Jefferson, you and three of your men take her to our room. Retrieve her sister while you’re at it- I don’t want Tayla to be alone at a time like this. Stand guard out in the corridor until I return. Do you understand?”

            The burly man nodded. “Yes, Your Highness.”

            Christopher took the time to hastily peck me on the lips before handing me over. I was forced to follow the guard- Jefferson- to a side entrance to the castle. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Sebastian wave at me goodbye.

            And then they were gone, leaving me alone with a complete stranger.

            The walk through the castle was silent but deafening. I kept three steps behind Jefferson, with the other men flanking at the back. Their quiet footsteps were the only thing keeping me calm. It meant that I was safe.    

            Hopefully.

            We stopped in front of Tayla’s door, which had three more people guarding it, and they let me retrieve her from inside. She was half asleep and I had to carry her the short distance to my bedroom.

            I put her on the bed and turned to the guards. “What now?”

            “I will stay in here with you while the others guard the door and corridor,” Jefferson said, giving me an approving look. He probably thought I was going to go crazy or something in a situation like this. Then again, I didn’t have the best track record (cough, the welcoming dinner, cough) when it came to being under pressure.