That dress

I managed to sneak inside without drawing too much attention to myself thankfully. I stood watching quietly from the side lines as the cast chattered animatedly with one another. This whole thing still didn't feel real, it was like some out of body experience watching some of the greatest acting talent the world had to offer casually hanging around having a laugh. That was of course until I was ripped back into my body by the sound of my name being called from across the set, followed by what I can only describe as the most hilarious bout of wolf-whistles and cheers.
"Damn girl you scrub up nice."
I felt my face flood with colour, "why thank you so much Cap."
"Woooohoooo, he's right you know," I looked over to where Jeremy was leaning against one of the set posts, "you look absolutely stunning."
"Did someone tell you guys that I was nervous about this or something?"

They all beamed, though Scarlet was the one to actually answer, "Sam may have mentioned that you weren't that keen on wearing such form fitting clothes. Plus we've never exactly seen you in anything other than those floaty pieces and the running get up you tend to wear."
"Well," I smiled, awkwardly running my hands over my hips a little and trying to stand a bit straighter.
"Don't worry," Scarlet gave me an easy smile, "it feels odd the first few times but before you know it you just get used it."
"Yeah, when you look like you," I half whispered to her.
She smiled, an easy heart-warming sort of smile, "yeah... and when you look like you too."

"Okay, okay, enough chit chat ladies and gents, are we ready to make some Asgardian magic up in here?"
Joss stood before us all, reminded us of the scene and what his visions were and then we were all sent off to our respective posts, ready to start. I caught sight of Tom standing off to the side of the enormous oak looking table chatting to Chris animatedly, I couldn't stop the smile that pulled on my lips watching him laughing along with his friend.
"What's got you all smiley Skip?"
I jumped a little at the sound of Chris's voice, "oh nothing, I just find all of this so crazy still you know?"
He beamed, "me too. It's pretty hectic really."
I nodded in agreement, "I think this whole Avengers movie set stuff is still kind of sinking in."
He eyed me for a moment, "you do get used to it. I mean, it can take a while and it can seem really overwhelming, but you do get used to it."
"Do you enjoy it?"
Before he had a chance to answer Joss was singing out his cues and we were all dropping into character.

I turned to face Chris once more. "Steve, what a pleasure it is that you could all come along this evening."
He straightened his shoulders, eyeing me a moment.
"You didn't exactly give us an option there bright eyes," Robert came stalking up the stairs towards us.
"You were welcome to decline the invitation at any point, Mr Stark," I cocked an eyebrow at him, "though I didn't exactly see you trying to get away when you were shown in here."
He adjusted his suit jacket and nodded, "yeah, well, there's no use in passing up an opportunity to get to know your opposition is there."
With a nod to Chris he stalked off down along the large table to find himself a seat. I waited for my cue, watching as Hemsworth came walking through the enormous makeshift wooden doors, red cape billowing behind him as he strode towards us.

"And cue the God complex," Robert grumbled from his seat. I threw him a scowl and turned my attention back to where Hemsworth was being joined by Tom. I felt my stomach tighten slightly as Tom's blue eyes met mine, a look of pure unfiltered hunger shining through.
"Good to see your brother got dressed up for the occasion," Scarlet's voice sung out from beside me.
I turned to look at her with a smirk, "well, if you're going to hold a banquet you have to hold it in style."
"None of this will work you know," Chris added in, "Stark is going to see straight through you."
"There's nothing to see through."
Tom's voice over my shoulder sent a shiver coursing through me. I couldn't contain the smirk that crossed my lips as he came to a halt by my side.
"You're kidding right?" Scarlet cocked an eyebrow, "that three piece you're sporting there doesn't fool anyone. You're still the same snake as before, no matter how hard you try to convince us otherwise."
Tom stepped forwards, a glimmer in his eye as he looked at me before turning to face Scarlet, "I don't need to convince anyone, least of all some mortal."
"Cut!"

Everyone held still while the hair and make-up teams did their bit and the camera crews reset.
"Okay legends, that was fantastic," Joss was walking towards where Tom and I stood with Scarlet and Chris, "could I ask for a little less... fire, shall we say between you two."
My eyes went wide as I realised that Joss was talking about Tom and I.
"I..."
"Absolutely Joss," Tom said with a smile, "I didn't realise it was coming off that way."
I was grateful for Tom's quick response and also slightly perturbed by the thought that I'd been showing some sort of 'fire' with him as Joss had mentioned. We waited a few moments more for everyone to get settled.
Chris smirked at me, "nothing going on between you two huh?"
I gave him a half-hearted shrug before stepping back into the world of Lorelai and the Avengers.

As far as work days went, it was a good one. Scarlet was right about getting used to the costumes, by the time I was finished with my scenes I was barely even aware of the outfit I was in. After a quick word with Joss and a few extra minutes watching the last of the Avengers team act in a scene together I started back towards the change rooms. Part way down the hall I slid the heels off my feet with an inaudible sigh of relief and kept walking, enjoying the feeling of the ground beneath me. By the time I made it out into the open air the sun was already on its descent for the night. I was halfway down the pathway when the sound of footsteps behind me caused me to slow.

"Ava," I'd barely turned around when Tom's half whispered voice met my ears.
"Tom, hey," I grinned and before I knew what was happening his lips were on mine. Surging forwards with a fever and intensity I didn't think possible. I stumbled backwards revelling in the feeling of his hand on my back holding me stead as he positively claimed every square inch of my mouth he could get at.
"Tom, Tom," I breathed, suddenly flushed and entirely too out in the open.
He kissed a trail down my neck as his hand wrapped protectively around my waist.
"Jesus, that damn dress, Ava."
His whispered comment against my skin made my whole body light up, it was as if someone had flicked a switch and every single nerve ending in me was on fire. I managed to hold it together just long enough to step back from him with a smirk.

"What about this 'damn dress' Tom?"
His blue eyes were positively primal at that point, the pupils near on taking over his iris as he looked me up and down again.
"It's beyond sexy."
I smirked once more, running my hand down over my waist, "well, I'd better go and let you and it get better acquainted then."
He laughed, an easy sound though his hand held onto my wrist, keeping me steady and sending another surge of fire through me.
"You know what I meant."
"Do I?" I leaned back slightly, cocking my eyebrow at him as he took a long moment to look me up and down. Tom opened his mouth to say something else when Evans' voice sang out from beside us.
"What're you two doing lurking in the shadows?"

Tom's hand immediately dropped from my arm as he turned to smile at Chris.
"Nothing we were just talking about this morning."
I couldn't stop the smirk that pulled at my lips as Tom tried to adjust to having another person with us.
"Oh, yeah! How awesome was today? I swear I still get so tripped out by the fact that we're filming all these crazy otherworld scenes you know?"
I beamed, "right?! How nuts is it? I always feel like I'm having this out of body experience. I mean I've been here a little while but it all still just feels so surreal."
"Totally! How're you finding everything anyway?"
"I love it, I mean, it's completely different to anything else I've ever done but I'm loving it. It's just got such a good vibe," I glanced across to where Tom was smiling at me. "Everyone's been so wonderful too you know."
When I turned to look back at Chris there was a glimmer in his eyes, a knowing look I didn't fully appreciate until the next words he spoke.
"I hear you. Movie sets like these can certainly bring people together in ways they didn't know they needed."

Tom glanced across at him, his cheeks colouring slightly as he gave his friend a knowing smile.
"Can I say something here," Chris folded his arms across his chest, "something that you guys may not actually like, or even want to hear."
We glanced at one another quickly and nodded.
"You guys don't need to hide, whatever it is, that you've got going on," the heat rising in my face made him grin.
"No, I, we, it's not..." I stammered.
"That blush right there Skip, that tells me I'm pretty much right on the money."
I looked over at Tom who was staring at his shoes, hands on his hips looking more and more tense with every passing second.
"I'm not one to pry, and I'm sure you guys have your reasons for not wanting this to become public knowledge. But I, and pretty much everyone else here, wants you to know that you don't need to hide this. We won't say a word, but you don't need to hide it, not while you're here at least."
I could practically see the uncertainty rippling off of Tom at that point. He'd made it abundantly clear to me the reasons behind why he was choosing to keep this private, even though apparently we weren't as sneaky as we'd once thought.
"Look, Chris, we aren't..."
"We aren't ready for everyone to know," Tom finished for me. "This whole thing is still so new to us. We're both just trying to navigate our way around it and we didn't want anyone else to be concerned with it."

The look on my face must have said more than any words ever could at that moment. I was gobsmacked to say the very least, and Chris, bless him, he knew when to leave well enough alone.
"Well," he smiled, stuffing his hands into his pockets, "I'm beat, I'll see you guys tomorrow."
He threw me a quick wink and gave Tom a heartfelt slap on the shoulder as he walked past. I couldn't suppress the smile that pulled at my lips as I turned to face Tom once more.
"So, where w..." and before I had a chance to say anything more he was already pressing his lips against mine, pulling me flush against him as he whispered against my lips.
"I don't care if they know," he kissed me again, "I only care about you."
"Tom," his hand slipped into mine as he grazed his teeth along my bottom lip gently.
A fire burning in his eyes as he whispered, "come with me."