16

Evan

I was finally getting some decent rest, not feeling like I was going to get sick, when I was hit with a blast of sharp pain, all over my body.

It was so painful, I almost couldn't breathe. I struggled to scream, to make any kind of sound at all. I didn't know what was happening, but I knew one thing was sure, something had happened to Dean.

Someone apparently heard my screams, and rushed into my room. I had curled up on my side in the fetal position, hoping it would eliminate the pain, but it didn't work. When I caught their scent, I knew it was Angel. I squinted my eyes through the pain, only to catch a terrified look on his face.

"Evan," he said, sounding scared.

I forced myself into a sitting position, wanting to see what was wrong. I knew it was something with Dean.

"What is it? What happened to Dean?" My voice was cracking, coming out in an almost croak.

"He was attacked. He was coming back from town, when he was ambushed."

My world stopped. Time stood still. I stared at Angel, trying to process what he'd just said.

My mate was hurt.

My heart dropped to the pit of my stomach like a stone, and a feeling of dread settled over me.

"Take me to him," I said softly.

Angel looked conflicted. I said it a little louder, a little more forcefully, and he relented. He walked over to my bedside, and helped me to my feet, supporting me when I started to list to the side as a wave of dizziness swept over me.

"Are you sure this is a good idea? I could have him brought up here instead."

I shook my head. As much as I liked the idea of Dean being up here with me, I knew he needed the medical attention in the infirmary more.

Angel set me down on the foot of the bed, causing me to voice my protests. He held up a finger and left the room.

"Mate is hurt! Mate needs us!" Jasper cried out, howling in despair. I agreed wholeheartedly, but I couldn't get down to him on my own. I didn't know how I would reach him without help.

Minutes later, Angel returned with a wheelchair. I didn't even know we had wheelchairs here. Behind him, there was a large wolf shifter as well. I wanted to question this man's presence, but then remembered my room being two floors above the infirmary, and understood the reasoning.

Angel helped me get into the chair and pushed me toward the stairs, where the wolf carried me down both flights. I was then wheeled to the infirmary and left in the hall outside Dean's room.

Angel went in the room and shut the door, leaving me to simply wait out here for any word.

While I was waiting, someone ran down to the infirmary, and stopped when they saw me.

"Evan, I need to speak to Dean," he said. "There was a phone call for him."

"He's hurt..." I whispered quietly, my vision blurring from tears. "Who called?"

"It was a man by the name of Jackson, I think. He said Dean had called a couple weeks ago and promised to tell him how something went, but when he never heard back, his mate simply went through and tried to find the phone number to call him back himself."

It surprised me to hear the name of Dean's first mate. I didn't even know he'd called the man. It kind of hurt to know they'd talked, but thinking about the timing, I realized his first mate was the one who told him about the flowers. I needed to thank the guy.