20

Evan

Dean had been unconscious for several days.

I wasn't sure if he even knew that I was there for him in the first place, sometimes, because he never seemed to react to my voice whenever I'd speak to him.

During the first couple days, I kept talking to him, telling him about the pregnancy. I told him how I looked forward to decorating the nursery with him, and picking out the babies' clothes.

I had found out I was expecting triplets, which made me a combination of ecstatic, and terrified. I was ecstatic to be having my mate's children, but I was terrified by the prospect of possibly having to raise all three by myself.

Jackson brought the girls in a couple times, and we talked together. During one visit, Jocelyn asked why he was still asleep, despite how long it'd been since he was brought in. I had to explain that I wanted him to wake up just as much as she did, but he was hurt and needed more rest.

It was a few days after she had asked, when I had my head under Dean's hand once again, that I felt it, a finger twitched in my hair.

The second I felt it, I sat up quickly, ignoring the dizzy spell, and called out to Clayton, who had decided to join me that day, giving Jackson a break.

"H-he moved... I swear he moved his fingers in my hair!"

Clayton hurried over, only to sigh and pat my shoulder consolingly. He hadn't seen what I'd felt.

I knew that he was going to be coming back to me, but I didn't know when. However, the stress was obviously becoming too much, or so I told myself.

One night, I was sitting there, holding Dean's hand, silently begging him to wake up, when Angel came in.

He offered me a cup of tea, saying that it was made with herbs for relaxation. I took it gratefully, glad to have something to occupy my hands. I picked up a distinct lemony scent to the tea, which I really enjoyed. I took gentle sips, wanting to savor the flavor, although by about the fifth sip, I realized something wasn't quite right. It may have smelled lemony, but it definitely did not have a lemony flavor, and it also seemed rather oily in comparison to other teas I'd had.

It wasn't long after, that I felt a pain in my stomach. Despite Angel informing me I would feel them, I also knew that feeling such severe cramps like these so early in the pregnancy was not a good sign.

What if I was losing the babies?! A warm, wet feeling in my pants confirmed my fears.

I quickly pressed the call button, alerting Angel of an emergency, though I didn't even need to say a word when he entered the room. The second he saw me, he called out into the hall, and had me dragged to an exam room. The look on his face, however, was anything but sympathetic.

The situation was nerve-racking. I didn't want to think of the worst case scenario, but I knew deep down that something was very wrong with the babies.

Jackson rushed into the room after me, having heard what was happening when he went to visit Dean, and sat by my side while I was having an emergency ultrasound performed.

We held hands, two omegas supporting each other. I was very grateful he was there for me.

When Angel turned to tell me what he'd found, I only had to take one look at his face, and I knew.

I felt my eyes sting with tears, and Jackson wrapped his other arm around my shoulder.

"I'm sorry, Evan. You suffered from a miscarriage. The stress of this situation was too much on two of them, and they couldn't survive," Angel explained solemnly.