Plantains

When I got back home from the store yesterday Eleanor was gone. She just vanished into thin air. I searched the entire house for her and got nothing. I even looked in Liam's room. Things didn't seem how they did before it happened but I had to remind myself of the main goal: find Eleanor.

I start to panic as she misses every call from me. I even contemplate calling the cops but it was too soon. God, if Liam finds out I lost his sister he'd kill me. I suppose I don't have to worry about that though.

The next day, right before I completely break down, I get a knock at my door. I open it to see a peculiar looking girl with extremely curly hair. She was asking for Eleanor.

"Hey is Eleanor here? I don't have her number but I was going to ask if she wants to hang out."

I shake my head, wondering how the hell this little girl found my address, "No she's not here. You haven't heard from her have you? I can't find her."

The girls face goes white, "Where would she have gone?"

"I dunno.. But if you don't mind, i'm gonna get back to-"

She stops the door from closing with her forearm, "Maybe I can help? Im summer. What's your name?"

"Uh- Cyrus."

My biggest mistake that night was letting Summer come in. She talked my ear off the entire time. She asked nonsense questions like where Eleanor was born and if she had any friends other than her. I answered them plainly.

"You remind me of plantains. You know, like those crunchy little-"

"Yeah. I know what plantains are, thanks." I interrupt, clearly tired of her bullshit.

"Sorry." she apologizes, "Can i get you some water or something? You seem tense."

"Of course i'm going to be tense I just lost my little sister." Woah. Woah woah woah woah. Sister?

She lets out a small giggle, "Sister? You don't look like Eleanor at all but you do you I guess."

"No- no shes not my sister." I muster, "I just- I dont-"

"I get it. You don't have anyone else, and neither does she. Been there done that."

She was half right. We don't have anyone else or anything for that matter, but Eleanor just doesn't have a fondness for me. Sometimes I feel like nothing pleases her.

"Anyways" she sighs, "What do you think we should do? Call the cops? Go look for her ourselves?"

"No. She'll come home. I know it."

"Do you mind if I wait with you?" Summer says sitting back down on the couch next to me.

I shrug, every bit of hope slowly receding from my consciousness, "Sure."

Just when I think things couldn't get any better another knock echos throughout the house. I jump up to answer it, hoping greatly that it's Eleanor.

As I swing the door open, the blonde fourteen year old girl i've been panicking about for the last 24 hours stand in front of me. I instantly throw my arms around her, embracing her as tight as i could without hurting her.

"Where the hell have you been?" She stays quiet and doesn't hug me back, "Eleanor? Are you alright?"

I feel her arms finally wrap around me for the first time. I don't know what was different about this instance but it felt... nice.

"Cyrus..." She sniffles, "Theres something I need to show you."

____________________________________

WORD COUNT: 582