The power of I Love You

"Theres something I need to show you." She says tiredly. I furrow my eyebrows at her, confused. Her facial expression looked tired and pale. She had eye bags and a chalky color to her usually rosy cheeks. She looked washed out and feeble. It would be easy to mistaken her for sick.

"Whats up? Are you alright?"

She nods and smiles. I think this is the first time i've seen her genuinely smile since Liam killed himself, "You have to promise to not freak out, okay?"

"Huh?"

"Cyrus. Im being serious."

Her smile dwindles as she steps out of the way. A tall figure comes out of the garage. And for that moment in time, that one piece of my life that i'm sure to never forget, I see Liam. The guy i fell madly in love with two years ago. The guy that died nearly two months ago. Everything i've ever wanted in a person, standing right in front of my eyes. I stare at him, so incredibly bewildered I feel as though I'm going to faint. The Liam that i have always felt a powerful sense of empathy towards. The same person that I would be willing to sacrifice everything for. I didn't have to think about this. I've never been so sure of anything in my life. I jump into him, almost knocking him off of the porch, throwing every ounce of me into his embrace. His skin against mine feels like a rare kind of love. The kind of love that feels like the word forever. The kind of love that feels like being lost in the right direction.

"Liam?" I cry into his shoulder, "Wha- I thought you were dead."

He rubs my back lightly and whispers into my ear, "Im okay Cyrus."

He still smelled exactly the same as when he left. I get dizzy from inhaling so much of his scent that I melt into him, "I don't get it. Where have you been?"

He gets tired of holding me up so he puts me onto the ground. Hearing his heartbeat again made me feel like I found an extension of myself that I never knew I had. It sends chills throughout my body.

I look over at Eleanor. She had her phone out and was recording us. Behind the camera she was silently sobbing. She had the most tremendous smile across her face, "Okay losers let's get inside. This ain't no sob fest."

I laugh and wipe my face pathetically as I wrap my hand around Liam's. We walk inside but he stops in the doorway.

"Wow." He says taking a deep breath.

I look at him, still a bit achy from all the crying, "I can't believe it. It's actually you."

He nods and hugs my neck, "Yeah. You can thank Eleanor for bringing me home."

"Oh yeah," I say, "Where did you go? Did you know Liam was alive?"

She shakes her head and grabs a few napkins from the dining table, "No. I went through Liam's room and found out about Mom and Dad so I went to find them."

"Well did you?"

She hands each of us the tissue and looks down, "Just mom. Turns out she's a homophobic son of a bitch anyways."

I laugh and blow my nose into the paper, "There's still one thing I don't quite understand... How are you still alive? Didn't Eleanor find you dead in the living room?"

He cocks his head back and laughs, "She felt my adams apple, not my pulse. She's just that much of an idiot."

"But how-"

"Cyrus, when they carried him off to the ambulance he got scared and ran away. Legally, the government isn't allowed to tell people that, I guess they're just trying to avoid making people worry. But what really matters is that he's home now." El says throwing away her napkin, "He told me all this in the bus on the way here."

"Why didn't you reach out? We spent the last few months in the dump, emotionally."

He shrugs, "I tried to kill myself. I didn't want to see you guys because you'd probably freak out, so I figured that you'd rather think I was dead."

I slap him right across the back of the head, "You dunce! I would much rather like to know that you're alive!"

He grabs both of my palms before things get too out of hand and holds them close to him, "Im sorry."

How could I stay mad at him? It's impossible. His blonde hair just so perfect and his green eyes. The same man I was obsessed with a year ago. Why am I angry?

"You know I can't stay mad at you." I laugh trying to push back the need to start wailing, "You're such an idiot." I say sarcastically.

He chuckles and picks me up, swinging me around a little bit, "I can't tell you how much i've missed this."

And for the first time in our relationship, I kiss him. Right on the lips. This moment couldn't get any better. My lips brush his softly, delicately, like butterfly wings, just long enough that I could inhale his breath, feel the warmth of his skin, and I knew the taste of his chapstick would linger far longer than I'd ever imagine. Eleanor snickers in the background as Liam slowly places his hands around my waist. I never wanted him to let me go, in fear of completely losing him again.

"Don't hog him all to yourself Cy he's my brother y'know!" She runs to us, nearly running into a stool in the process, "I love you guys so much. More than anything."

'I love you guys' I replay in my head. She doesn't just love Liam. She loves me too.

"I love you too Eleanor." I say.

"El. You can call me El."

____________________________________

WORD COUNT: 985