Chapter 1

Sophia Murray escaped the blazing June heat by walking into Colorado Springs' VA Hospital. She loved it there. As a nurse practitioner, she volunteered every chance she got. All the people there just touched her heart. And she had a tidbit of knowledge on what it was like fighting for your country. Her older brother, Jack, worked as a detective for the FBI. He shared lots of his cases with her and often escaped the craziness of life by going to her house to relax.

She stepped up to the front desk and smiled at the secretary. "Morning Elaine."

Elaine Thomas looked at her over the brim of her glasses, "I'd hardly say good morning. More like good afternoon."

Sophia smiled. Elaine's hard shell often made people step back a bit, but she loved the old woman. "I suppose. Where is my expertise needed today?"

At that Elaine smiled. She and Sophia shared the love for helping others. "Second level. Room 204. Young man. His leg was blasted off in Afghanistan. The prosthetic they gave him there just isn't holding up. You are needed to help him. His platelet levels are crazy too. I recommended you."

Sophia reached into her purse and pulled out a chocolate bar, "Here. Take this. I owe you."

"Aw, dear, what would I do without you?" Elaine took the chocolate. "Thank you."

"No problem. Now, see you later."

"Of course. Have a wonderful day." Elaine waved.

Sophia waved back. She knew exactly how to touch the woman's heart.

Stepping off the elevator, Sophia made her way to Room 204. She showed her ID card to the doctor and was let in. "Hi. I'm Sophia Murray." Shooting a glance at the clipboard hanging on the wall, she continued, "And you must be David Hingleton."

David nodded, "Yep. Pleased to meet you."

"The feeling is mutual. Now, let's get started. I'm going to need to take some tests first. Just small blood ones. Nothing major." She grabbed some needles and other miscellaneous things from a drawer then moved toward the man in the bed. David stuck out his arm for her to draw blood. She smiled, "Very cooperative."

He returned the smile, "Thank you-"

The sound came first. Then the explosion. Screams could be heard all around the hospital. "David!" She shouted.

"Sophia!"

More screams.

Another explosion.

Sophia felt something hit her hard in the head. She felt searing pain.

And she knew no more.