Chapter 13

Olivia slid into bed that night wondering how her roller coaster of emotions hadn't derailed yet. Today had gone from normal, to crazy, to scary, to hectic, to emotional, and back around again. She needed some serious consoling. As that thought popped into her head, her phone rang. Nicole.

She rolled over and reached to her nightstand to grab it. "Hello?"

"Hey Liv." Nicole answered. "Are you doing okay?"

"Okay? I don't think so." Before she knew it, she had dumped everything on Nicole. What was wrong with her? What happened to the strong woman she was? She could handle her own problems.

"Okay Liv, hear me out. You are the strongest woman I know. Fight the battle. You've got this." Nicole encouraged her.

"Thanks Nicole. I really needed this."

"What? Dumping your life on me?" Nicole chuckled.

Olivia laughed, "Yes. Now I probably should get to bed before I fall asleep on you."

"Okay. Good night. Love you."

"Night. Love you too."

Click.

Olivia fell asleep much faster and better than she was planning and had a night of peace. The next morning came around all too soon and when she climbed out of the shower, got dressed, and looked in the mirror, she realized what a wreck she was. Even after a shower.

Nine o'clock rolled around and Olivia found herself sitting next to Jack on the road back to Denver, eating his version of breakfast to-go. A tortilla with egg, cheese, and an odd mixture of green stuff. Not half bad.

"Sleep well?" Jack broke the now ever-present tension between them.

"Yes."

"Nightmares?"

"No." What was he leading into?

"That's good."

"I'm not my sister."

"I take offense to that for your sister."

"What do you want?" She asked, exasperated.

Jack looked over at her, trying to hide a smirk, "Nothing. Absolutely nothing at all."

She rolled her eyes and turned away from him.

15 minutes into the drive, Olivia gasped and grabbed Jack's hand from the steering wheel, "My laptop!" Jack took one glance down at her hand on his and she whipped it back. "Sorry. It's just that I left my laptop back at home. It has all my notes and I need it if I'm going back to the scene." She shook her head, "I feel so irresponsible."

Jack pulled off an exit and turned around, going the other direction on the interstate, "It's fine, we're not that far."

She gave him a small smile and relaxed into her seat.

~~~~~

Jack took a side glance at the woman sitting next to him. Yes, his heart was still broken into a million pieces, but he was still going to be friendly. They arrived back at her house and stepped out of the car. Jack accompanied her to the door for no reason at all, but his gut told him to. When they entered the house, he could have sworn that he heard something.

Thump, thump.

He silently slid his Glock out of his waistband and moved Olivia behind him. "Did you hear that?" He whispered.

"Hear what?" She whispered back.

Thump, thump.

"Put your hand on my shoulder."

"Why?"

He gritted his teeth, "Just do it please."

She obeyed and set her hand on his shoulder.

"Stay behind me at all times."

Out of the corner of his eye he saw her nod. Slowly, he moved forward, gun ready, all senses alert.

~~~~~

Olivia squeezed her hand on Jack's shoulder to remind him she was still there.

Thump, thump.

Olivia stepped closer to Jack, enough so that she could feel the heat radiating off his body.

A crash and broken glass could be heard near the back of her house. Jack's muscles tensed and he moved toward the sound.

Footsteps sounded in the hall and Olivia shot up a quick prayer.

God, keep us safe. Help us to catch who's in my house. We love you. Amen.

She could barely hear anything but her pounding heart. Peering around Jack to see what was going on, his arm shot behind him and pushed her back. "No." was all that she needed to hear. She stayed still.

They moved towards the master bedroom. Noise could be heard from somewhere. Inside the bedroom, Olivia caught a glimpse of something down the hall. She also heard more breaking glass.

She took off running towards the intruder, her feet crunching on broken glass. She saw a man running towards her patio door. Running on an injured ankle was not smart but she had too much adrenaline not to.

"Olivia! Stop!" Jack shouted.

The intruder turned and she caught a glimpse of striking grey eyes through his ski mask.

He ran outside and she followed with Jack close behind. The man held on to her laptop as he ran through her yard.

Olivia was skilled and she was able to catch up to him by the fence.

With him cornered she held her hands out, "Give me the laptop." She panted, out of breath.

He shook his head and ran by her.

She managed to grab his arm but he yanked her to him and held her hair up, pulling it tight.

Olivia winced, "Let go."

The intruder's gravelly voice responded, "No."

Jack froze and growled at the man, his gun pointed at his head. Yes, actually growled. "Let her go."

The man moved his hold from her hair to her neck. Olivia gasped for breath and felt her lungs tighten.

"Let. Her. Go."

~~~~~

Olivia let out an ear splitting scream that shredded Jack's insides. The intruder was startled and it gave Olivia an instant to react. She went limp, causing him to drop her, then performed a glorious punch to his jaw, making him drop her laptop.

Realizing his defeat, the intruder ran out of her property, but not before Jack managed to shoot him in the shoulder. He continued to run but there was enough blood on the street for them to get a DNA sample and find out who it was.

His first priority was Olivia.

She stood up quickly and brushed herself off. "He got away."

"I know." Reaching up, he tucked a loose strand of her hair behind her ear. "You okay honey?" The endearment had been a chance, but he risked it anyways. She had scared him out of his wits.

It obviously made her uncomfortable. "I'm fine." She mumbled not making eye contact.

He dropped his hand immediately. "Right. Why don't you check to see if your laptop still works and I'll call for some reinforcements."

Her shoulders slumped, "Reinforcements?"

"Basically Dom, Cole, Grace, Hunter, and Payton. Also Nicole. She might want to take a look at you. Oh and I'll get Landon on the phone."

Olivia nodded and let him make the calls while she checked on her computer. She didn't go inside as it was a crime scene, not to mention a mess. Jack kept one eye on her while he called everyone.