Chapter 22

Olivia's heart sank. No no no no no. "Jack?" Her father's hand tightened on her shoulder.

Dr. Patel continued, "What you do not know is that I specialize in heart transplantation. And we had a donor give up his life a few minutes after we stopped trying on Jack. Jack was the immediate need so we were able to give him a new heart."

Olivia perked up, "Jack?"

"My son?" Arthur whispered.

"May I remind you not all transplants are successful." Dr. Patel added.

Tears threatened to fall. The dark hole loomed closer.

"Thankfully, Jack pulled through."

Her tears were replaced with ones of happiness. "Jack." Olivia wept in thanksgiving and fell to the floor. Thank you, Jesus.

"Who saved my son?" Carol asked, blinking back tears.

Dr. Patel smiled, "David Hingleton."

~~~~~

Olivia ran to Jack's room as soon as she was given the number. Dr. Patel said he was doing wonderfully and his recovery rate was faster than most. Her heart was beating way too fast.

She tore open the door, "Jack!"

Surprisingly, he sat there, awake. "Liv."

She smiled, letting him use the name.

He beckoned for her to sit next to him on the bed. Despite the million machines around him, Olivia couldn't have asked for anything else. She slid next to him after he had scooted over. Snuggling up against him, she smiled, "I love you."

"Do you know how many years I've waited for you to say that?"

She intertwined her hands with his, "A lot I'm guessing."

He grinned, "Yes, but it's okay. I can wait for the woman of my dreams. Even if it means almost dying to get her."

"Jack." She turned serious and he stopped smiling.

"Liv?"

"Please don't joke about that."

He winced, "Sorry. I didn't think."

She smiled, "It's okay."

"Olivia."

She turned to see him staring directly at her. "What?"

"I heard the screams."

Her expression dropped, "I thought I lost you." Her voice was barely audible.

"Liv, sweetheart." He tipped her chin up with his hand. "I would never let that happen."

"Promise?" Him dying scared her beyond imaginable.

"I promise."

"How do I know for sure?"

He smiled, "This." Bending down, he kissed her like none before. It was breathtaking, amazing, and so full of love.

Jack pulled back and leaned his forehead against hers, "Good enough for you?"

"More than enough." Olivia smiled, crying all over again. She was a mess. But none of that mattered.

Jack grinned, "That's my girl."