Chapter 19

The next morning proved to be a scorcher. Olivia's morning run was absolutely dreadful. The hot sun caused her to sweat like crazy and each step was agonizing. Why she had chosen to run with her ankle still injured, she didn't know. But the run had helped her clear her mind. When she arrived at her house afterwards, she was surprised to see Jack leaning against his Jeep.

"Jack?"

"Hey. You look beat." He moved to her.

Of course he caught her at her worst moment. "I feel beat. This sun is awful."

"Welcome to summer." He followed her inside and accepted the ice water she handed him.

"So, what can I do for you?" She asked.

Jack sipped his water, "Landon found another house."

Olivia let out a long sigh, "Wonderful."

"I came to pick you up. Thought I'd get us ahead of the game. Seems like the house was demolished." Jack set his glass in the sink.

"Demolished?"

Jack nodded grimly, "Meaning you have a long day ahead of you."

"Great. Well, can you wait a few minutes while I shower?"

"Sure. I have a few calls to make anyway. Take your time." He smiled at her.

She smiled back. "Okay."

After her shower, she chose her usual jean shorts and a casual t-shirt. Also, her pair of navy blue high-top converse. She weaved her brown hair into a braid and let it fall down her back.

She sighed. Next to Jack, she looked like a hobo. His camouflage cargo shorts and grey shirt were simple, but he turned heads everywhere. Of course his good looks had something to do with that. A short wisp of hair fell from her braid. She tucked it behind her ear, knowing it would fall out soon. Whatever.

She entered the living room to see Jack on the phone talking with what sounded like Dominic. He had a small grin on his face and was laughing softly. Upon seeing her, he turned. "Hey gotta go....Yep. See you soon." He hung up the phone and slipped it into his pocket. "You look beautiful."

Olivia felt her face flush, "Thank you."

"Don't mention it."

Soon, Jack helped her into the car and soon they were on the road. "I see your ankle is feeling better."

She rotated it, "Yeah, it doesn't hurt as bad. I don't need crutches anymore. I mean, I ran on it, right?"

"I guess that means I can't help you walk anymore." He shot her a grin.

"I guess so. Too bad."

"Too bad."

~~~~~

Olivia joined Payton in the house to start looking for evidence. As usual, Jack expected them not to find anything but a note. Usually that's how it went.

"Jack." Dominic approached him with a nod.

"Hey." He crossed his arms and surveyed the property, looking for anything out of place.

"Think they'll find anything?"

"I doubt it, but here's hoping."

"Let's head to my car and do some work. I need to find more background information on Vladislav."

"Sounds good to me."

Jack and Dominic had been working for three hours when the front door to the house burst open and Olivia came running towards them.

Dominic jumped out of the car, full protection mode, "What?" He grabbed her by the shoulders and pushed her against the car.

"Dominic!" Olivia exclaimed. "I'm fine. Let go of me."

"How would he know? You scared me too." Jack told her. He grimaced to himself at the pressure Dominic was putting on his sister. That slam against the car looked like it had hurt.

She bit her lip, "Sorry. I just wanted to let you guys know Payton and I found something super important."

Dominic let go of his sister and rubbed his eyes, "What?"

After rubbing the shoulder Dominic had slammed against the car, Olivia held out the note, careful not to let them touch it, since it was evidence and they didn't have gloves on like she did. The note held an address, and a fingerprint so visible it almost looked like a stamp. On the back of the note, in messy handwriting it said, 'Remember me when you catch him.' It was most likely Pitre, his personality was one of a coward.

Jack paled, "The place where Vladislav is hiding?"

Dominic shook his head, "It could be a red herring."

"It's worth a shot. Please, it has to be valid. The other notes were. Please, it could be our big break in this case. We need to check it out. Please."

It was hard to ignore her pleading, and besides, it was adorable pleading. Jack sighed, "All right. Let's get a team together and check this out."

Dominic thought for a moment, "You're right. But this is serious. We need a big team, extra safety precautions."

Jack nodded in agreement, "I agree a thousand times with you. Let's get this team together and ready for action."