Chapter 11

Jack stood staring at his sister through the one way glass. She laid in the bed, either sleeping or unconscious. The machines around her were beeping and there was a nurse doing some tests. His heart ached for Sophia, but more so for Olivia. He loved her, but it was apparent she didn't love him back. He needed to get over her and just accept the fact that they were not meant to be.

"Carol, there she is." A familiar timbre voice said.

"Oh Arthur, my baby."

Jack froze. Mom? Dad? He turned and saw his parents standing in the hall, a mere ten feet from him. How long had it been since he'd seen them? Too long. "Mom? Dad?"

"Jack." His parents made their way to him and soon he was enveloped in a big hug.

"Sophia?" His mother asked, leaning around him.

Jack sighed, "Still not responding."

His mother wiped a tear and his father wrapped an arm around her shoulders, consoling her.

Jack stepped back and let them have their moment, but his father turned to him and motioned for him to join them, "Jack, come."

He shook his head, "No, you two can be together."

"Jack, come here." His mother told him.

He reluctantly did as told and joined them."

"Jack, it wasn't your fault."

Were they talking about Maverick? "For?"

"Your brother." His mother whispered, still looking at Sophia. "It wasn't your fault and we acted like it was. We're sorry."

Realization hit. It wasn't his fault. Olivia was right, as usual. Maybe it was time to let go of the burden. "I forgive you."

His father smiled, "Now can we start over?"

A huge weight lifted off his shoulders. Thank you Lord, for taking this burden from me. "Yes, we can."

"Jack?" A honeysweet voice called his name. A voice he could recognize anywhere. He turned around to see the most beautiful thing ever to live on this earth holding herself up on crutches.

"Olivia."

She hobbled over to him and he was barely able to stop himself from kissing her. "About earlier, listen-"

He held up a hand, "No, I get it. I understand."

"But you don't."

"No. It's in the past. Please, don't worry about it."

Her face said she was worrying about it, but she let it drop. "We need to get to Dom's in twenty minutes."

"Right." He turned to his parents, hugged them with all his might, blew a kiss at Sophia, and followed Olivia out of the hospital.

~~~~~

"Honey, the pizza's here."

Dominic moved from the kitchen to the family room where his wife stood, setting out the pizza boxes. He just stared at her. All his siblings teased him about being madly in love, but it was true. He was in love. Madly in love with the most gorgeous woman on the planet. Chloe caught him staring and smiled, "What?"

He moved to her and wrapped her in his arms, "Nothing."

"Right."

"Fine. Just thinking about how beautiful you are."

Chloe pulled back and gave him a glorious kiss. "You were?"

He cupped her face, "Yes. I love you with all my heart."

"I love you too."

"Is this daily life for you guys?" Cole gaped from the doorway, clearly disgusted.

Chloe smiled, "Yes."

"Gross."

"You say that Cole, but before you know it that's going to be you." Grace said from her spot in Hunter's arms behind him.

Cole stuck his tongue out at her. "Fat chance."

"Oh please." His twin sister said from the door. "We all know Cole's got women dropping left and right at his feet."

Hunter laughed at Nicole's comment. "Too true. But none of them are as beautiful as this one right here." He kissed Grace's head.

Cole picked up his twin sister, "Oh Nicole." He drawled, "I just love you so much." He kissed her face randomly, causing her to collapse into a fit of giggles. When he put her down he put his hands on his hips, "Now do we fit in?"

Grace shook her head, "Stop being a Dominic."

Dominic glared at her.

"You know," Chloe started, "That reminds me. Anyone notice how tense it's been between Liv and Jack?"

Cole blew out a breath, "Recently, yes I have."

Dominic shook his head, "You should have seen them today."

Nicole cocked her head, "What do you mean?"

"He means Jack's fallen in love with her but she still can't figure out if she's fallen for him." Grace answered for him.

"Ah."

"Don't look now, but here they come." Hunter tilted his head to the door slightly. Jack and Olivia made their way inside, Olivia on crutches.