Chapter 18

"David Hingleton. Single. Age thirty-six. In the VA hospital for three months. Low platelets, prosthetic leg." Jack read through the patient's file aloud.

"David?" Sophia whispered.

Jack looked up at his sister, "Yes, honey. David."

A smile lit up her face. Jack could feel the weight lifting off his shoulders. She was going to be okay.

"Is he alive?" Olivia asked.

Jack looked at her. She was leaning over his shoulder to see the file. Today, her shampoo smelled like honey. He swallowed, "Yes, he's alive. But, barely. The bomb was not good for his health. He's in this hospital, monitored twenty-four seven. Not in good shape."

"David." Sophia whimpered.

"Sweetheart, he'll be okay." Carol comforted her.

"My best guess is that Sophia was the volunteer nurse who was helping David before the bomb. He's one of the few things she can remember at the moment. You said she volunteered there often?" Olivia asked Jack.

"Yes. She went there all the time. She must have helped David." Jack answered.

~~~~~

At seven o'clock, Jack dropped Olivia off at her house. They had spent the rest of the day at the hospital, then went back to the lab to work on the case some more. Jack bought Chinese takeout for dinner while they worked, but then insisted she stop working for the night. Thankfully, Dominic had pulled some strings and gotten her house cleaned up and the broken windows replaced quicker than usual.

Olivia stood on her doorstep, embracing the coolness of the evening. It had been a hot summer so far and the cool night was welcome.

"You sure you're okay staying here alone?" Jack interrupted her thoughts.

"I can survive."

Jack smiled, "You know, I'm beginning to get used to your stubbornness."

"As Nicole reminded me tonight, we've known each other for eight years. You should have been used to it by now." She shot back.

He grinned, "Eight years hmm? You were just a little kid then."

"Was not."

"Were too. You were just out of college."

"Was not. I had been out of college for three years."

He gave her a smug smile, "Just a youngster."

She rolled her eyes and shoved him, "Definitely not at old as you."

"I'm not old."

"Older than me."

"By what? Five, six years? Not even. Maybe four." Jack crossed his arms.

She grinned, "Old man."

He picked her up and carried her inside, "I may be old to you but I'm very young in spirit.

She laughed, "Okay, okay. Now set me down."

"Yes ma'am."

Olivia shook her head and smiled, "Get some sleep Jack."

He grinned, "Goodnight Olivia."

"Night Jack."

She closed the door behind him, smiling. Of course, he'd do that to her. Make her second guess her decision, again. But she won't. Won't love him and risk him realizing that she was not what he needed.

After a nice, hot shower Olivia climbed into her bed. She was determined to get a good night's sleep because this case was draining.

~~~~~

Jack laid on his bed, hair still wet from his shower. He wished this case would be over. The personal tie to it was even greater, now that Sophia was awake and hurting. And Olivia.

He didn't even want to start thinking about her.

This was giving him such a headache. He loved the woman, loved her with all his heart. But it caused a physical ache the way she rejected him. He was fifteen again, stuck back in the friendzone.

Jack sighed, and punched a pillow. What he would give to hear how Olivia really felt about him.

"God, please give me guidance right now. In everything. I kinda need help with life." Jack chuckled to himself at how he worded his request. Picking up his tattered Bible, he read for a while before drifting off to sleep.