Chapter 15

Jack helped Olivia out of the car. "I still can't believe you managed to run with your ankle like that."

Olivia shrugged, "Adrenaline. Plus, the nurse said it was barely a sprain. More of a twist but bad enough to hurt. She said it would be better in the next few days. I'm fine. It barely hurts."

"The way your walking says otherwise."

"I'm fine Jack." She meant it.

"Liv." Grace stepped out of Hunter's truck and enveloped her into a hug.
"Hon, it's been twenty minutes." Hunter smiled at his wife.

"I know."

"Payton's waiting inside. Shall we?" Jack gestured to the door.

"Yes." Olivia answered.

~~~~~

Jack walked next to Olivia into the lab. Okay, more like hovered. He wasn't comfortable with the idea that she denied security. Not comfortable at all. Even though deep down he knew that no one was after her, just the information she held.

Hunter and Grace walked just a step ahead of them holding hands and whispering. How he wished that he could have that sort of relationship with Olivia. He looked down at Olivia and was surprised to see her watching Hunter and Grace as well.

"Olivia?" He asked softly so only she could hear.

She looked up at him and smiled. He lived for that smile. "Yes?"

"What are you thinking about?"

His question puzzled her. "Nothing."

He nodded and let the matter drop. The urge to take her hand and hold it tight was unnerving. But for her sake, he held back.

They entered the lab to see Payton hunched over a microscope holding some notes.

"Payton?" Olivia asked.

She stood, "I'm checking the DNA from the blood. I haven't found out yet."

"He had grey eyes." Olivia stated. "Really grey eyes."

"He was also shorter than usual." Jack added.

A computer dinged and a new tab popped open. "I got something on the DNA." Payton piped up. "And a lot earlier than usual. I guess that Vladislav's men just aren't very careful."

Jack exhaled. It was related to this case. It wasn't some lunatic after the woman he loved. "So who was it?"

"Pitre Winslow."

Olivia opened her laptop and started working. "Logically it makes sense. Do the dirty work. Send your son. Let him get hurt."

Jack nudged Olivia in the shoulder. "You punched him in the jaw."

Grace gasped, "She did what?"

Hunter grinned, "Atta girl."

Olivia simply shrugged, "I have older brothers."

"Don't downplay it. It was a great punch." Jack grinned as well.

She blushed, "It felt good."

"Good to get all the anger you felt from Jack out?" Hunter smirked.

Jack shot a lopsided smile at Olivia, causing her lips to twitch. "Maybe it did."

Jack picked up a piece of candy from the tray Payton had set next to her. Unwrapping it and popping the candy into his mouth, he leaned back in the chair he sat in and stretched his legs onto the table. "It helped. I can tell she's been wanting to punch me for months."

Olivia looked at him from over her computer, brows raised, "Get your feet off the table."

He didn't move, purposely vexing her. "Why? I'm comfortable."

Hunter let out a low whistle and Grace raised her eyebrows from her spot writing things on the whiteboard.

Olivia narrowed her eyes. "Get off your feet off the table or I will personally see to it that you are never comfortable again."

Payton quickly covered her laugh with a cough. Grace wasn't so fortunate.

Jack smirked, "Is that a threat?"

Olivia stood up and moved toward him. "Yes. Yes it was."

He stood, his tall frame looming over her. "Ah."

She crossed her arms, "Why don't you go do something useful?"

"I'm helping Payton empty her candy tray." He answered, tongue in cheek.

Jack leaned back on the table, thoroughly enjoying making Olivia mad. She didn't like it, that much was obvious. "Watch it Murray."

His lips twitched. How he would love to do this for the entirety of his life. "Okay, okay."

She chucked her pen at him with a small smile on her face.

Grace cleared her throat, "So are we going to ignore the fact that Pitre was at Liv's house?"

Jack stopped smiling at Olivia. "No."

"Vladislav's close." Hunter murmured.

"Too close." Payton observed.

Olivia glanced at the clock. 11:45. "I'm hungry."

"Hi hungry, I'm Grace." Grace stuck her hand out for Olivia to shake it.

Jack grinned. "You want food?"

"Please."

"I can arrange that."

Grace's phone vibrated and she answered the call. "Hello? Yes. On my way." Her expression grim, she looked at Hunter. "We have to go."

His face clouded with worry. Jack sympathized with him. Grace was about to walk straight into danger. Having the woman you love do that does something to you. Hunter cleared his throat and took her hand, "Okay. Let's go."

"Hunter I'll be fine. Promise."

He kissed her slowly. "You say that every time. One of these days, I'll find out it was a lie."

Grace stared at him, a mixture of love and sadness on her face. She turned and gave Olivia and Payton hugs and waved at Jack. "See you soon."

"By Grace. Stay safe."

"Always." She left hand in hand with Hunter.