Best Friend

You looked over the counter as your mama was handling a customer, standing on the tips of your toes.

"Por supuesto Julieta! Here let me go grab that for you." Your mama exclaims to the lady standing with a smile.

As she turned her back to get the ingredients Julieta wanted, you spot a little boy around your age. His tiny hand was holding onto his tia's.

His head turned towards you, seeing the top of your face since you couldn't reach the top.

He waves at you with a sweet expression. Julieta looked down and saw her sobrino's wide smile. She looked to see what was making him smile so much and saw you, well, your eyes.

Looking back at him she gives him a little nudge. "Go on Camilo, go talk to her." He instantly lets go of her hand and runs over to you without a second thought.

You get down from the small step you were on and were greeted by Camilo's extended arm. "Hola! I'm Camilo!" He exclaims, excitedly. You give him a smile before shaking his hand and he giggles as you do so. "Hola Camilo!"

---------------------------------------------------

"No wait do you remember when you would cry because I had to go back home? You were so clingy." You laugh, laying down on your best friend's bed as you both recounted the memories you both had made since you were 4.

Camilo laughs along, walking towards the bed. "I still am." You smile at him as he throws himself next to you. "Oh you definitely are."

He begins to chuckle again while saying "Do you remember when I proposed to you with an arepa when we were 6?" You cover your face, laughing at the memory.

He looks at the ceiling smiling. "And then- and then you said my ruana wasn't fancy enough so you made me go change."

You begin to laugh harder, arm flying off your face as you nod. "In my defense the guys always had suits on in my mama's romance movies." He smiles as he looks at you.

"You know I cried when I found out you ate the arepa? I thought that meant you didn't wanna marry me anymore so mi mama had to comfort me for like an hour." You lay on your side, facing him.

Furrowing your brows with a smile you ask "Actually?" He nods, mirroring your position. "You were my first heartbreak," His door opens as you both laugh.

You both turn to the entrance of the room to see Isabela standing at the door. "Sorry for stealing your novia 'Milo, pero we need to go check up on those decorations she ordered." She smirks, leaning against the door frame.

It was the day before Antonio's gift ceremony and you had offered to help with the decorations.

"Novia? Really Isa?" You shake your head as you sit up from Camilo's bed. "When are you gonna stop calling her that?" Camilo sighs, extending his arm for you to help him up.

"When I start calling her your esposa." Isabela says while you pull Camilo up.

Rolling your eyes, you stand up. "Let's go Isa!" You say, dragging out your words as you walked out the room.

She follows behind after closing his door. Dolores stood at the bottom of the stairs, waiting for you both.

Once you got to her, she wasted no second to continue Isabela's teasing. Obviously with her gift she heard everything. "Finally, Camilo's novia has graced us with her presence." You shake your head.

"C'mon Dolores, not again. I'm not his novia." you say, beginning to walk out of the casita. "Oh of course I'm sorry.... You're his esposa."

"Dios mio.." you mutter, picking up your pace as the two girls snicker behind.

   ___________________________

After a while, Camilo reluctantly stands up from his bed. Since you aren't there along with him anymore he's lost all his motivation to do anything.

He walks down stairs, going into the kitchen.

Looking around a bit, he doesn't find any of Julieta's baked goods.

Pepa walks in, spotting her son in the middle of his disappointment. "Mama where's all the food?" she chuckles while placing an empty tray down.

"Oh Julieta has kept it hidden until dinner. We don't want you taking the whole meal before it gets set on the table. Y tu amor? Is she hungry?" she questions referring to you, and turning to Camilo.

He sighs before saying, "Ay mama, ella no es mi amor. She left with Isabela."

"Hm.. I didn't even mention a name." Camilo rolls his eyes at this remark before Pepa continues. "Although it's no wonder you're roaming around the kitchen. You two have always been attached at the hip." she laughs, ruffling his hair in an affectionate manner and the sunshine gets a bit brighter. "Well of course I am, I'm bored." he mutters. "Well I don't know how to help you with that Camilo, but I have to go down to the town and get those lights for tonito's ceremony."

Camilo's face lights up as he thought of an idea. One that would surely cure his boredom.

Stepping in front of Pepa, who was about to walk out of the room, he announces "Hey you know what mama? I can go get the lights, I'll go to town and find her- uh them. The lights." He gives her wide grin before she hesitantly says okay.

"Yes! Gracias!" He exclaims before sprinting towards the town.

On the way there he was greeted by townsfolk, he said hello back but he didn't stop running. He had one and only one thing on his mind.

Finding his best friend.

He was even slowed down by a few fan girls, fawning over him. But just because he slowed down doesn't mean he stopped. In fact, he barely slowed down at all. He was such in a rush he didn't flirt as he normally did.

Finally reaching the center of town he looked around. He was out of breath but he didn't care. His hair was a mess but fixing it didn't cross his mind.

After maybe one minute of looking in every direction, he spotted the girl he was looking for walking out of a store.

  He didn't hesitate to run at you at full speed, throwing his arms around you.

"Hermosa!" He exclaims, almost knocking you both over. "Ay 'Milo! You scared me! What are you doing here? We were with each other like 20 minutes ago." You say, returning his embrace.

He looks at you with furrowed brows. "It's only been 20 minutes? Felt like way longer. Besides, I can't miss my best friend?" He stuffs his face back into the crook of your neck, while you chuckle.

As you wrap one of his many curls around your finger, other hand on his back, the shop door opens and Isabela and Dolores walk out. "Ay dios, of course he's here. We can't even get her to ourselves for half an hour" Isabela sighs, crossing her arms.

Camilo let go of you, glaring at Isabela then shifting into her. " Aw I'm so sad that she prefers Camilo over me!" He says in a mocking manner, wiping fake tears.

Isa shuts him up by shooting flowers at his face, something she usually did.

You begin to laugh when he spits out a flower, furrowing his brows and turning back into himself.

"Who told you I prefer you over Isa?" you say, catching his attention. "Oh c'mon, you know I'm your favorite Madrigal."He smirks. "Are you though? Antonio is pretty adorable" you boop the tip of his nose as he rolls his eyes.

"Aren't you supposed to be getting those lights for mama Camilo?" Dolores asks with her arms crossed. "I- uh yeah, the lights." He stammers, walking away to go get them.

You sigh before Dolores tells you, "The person at the register said to pick up the decorations in an hour." You nod. "Leaves us time to go shopping then." You say, winking at the girls. Isabela instantly smiles, pulling you and Dolores towards the clothing store.

words: 1317