Crybaby

"There was room for him too!" You yell at the television, stuffing your mouth with popcorn as you held back the tears forming in your eyes.

Sergio looks away from the screen and faces you, quickly letting out a few snickers. "Are you crying?" He pokes fun at you, smiling.

You rub your eyes in an attempt to get yourself together.

"No. It's just stupid that he froze to death for no reason. He was so perfect." you frown, crossing your arms and slouching back.

You receive an eye roll from Sergio. "Alright, don't need to hear you fawning over Jack Dawson."

"I want him to draw me like one of his French gi-"

"Nope. Nuh-uh, that's our sign telling us we've had enough." He grabs the remote and turns off the television.

You groan, annoyed. "Gio...! I'm sorry I'll stop making dirty jokes. You're no fun." You complain, turning around on your stomach with your face on the pillow.

The sound of Sergio's laugh echoes in the background of your sulking. Eventually, it dies down, leaving the both of you in comfortable silence after you turned back around.

You stared at the ceiling, thoughts interrupted by Sergio. "Hey, so what's up with you and Camilo?"

You had turned to look at him when you first heard his voice but turned the other way again when he finished the question. "Still ignoring me. I don't understand why. If I did something why can't he just tell me?" you let out a sigh.

"You hadn't really been hanging out with him before he started to ignore you. Maybe that's why."

That explanation never crossed your mind. But looking back at the days leading up to Camilo's actions, you don't think you weren't hanging out with him enough.

"Really? I was hanging out with him though."

Sergio lets out a subtle scoff, one that you didn't manage to hear. "No, not really. If anything you were with me more than you were with him."

Your expression forms into one of confusion. Was that really true?

You stayed silent for a moment, thinking.

"Are you tired of him or something?" You make eye contact with him, furrowing your eyebrows. "I could never get tired of him. You'd think after being friends for like 11 years one of us would get tired of the other huh? I'm surprised he didn't ditch me sooner if I'm being honest. I'm pretty annoying." You vented, causing Sergio to furrow his brows.

"No, you aren't. Don't think like that. Camilo didn't ditch you either, he's just upset right now." You shake your head, looking away from him. "And how would you know that?"

He stood quiet, contemplating whether to say something or not.

"Exactly." Your voice broke as you held in tears, something Sergio picked up on.

"Hey, Hey. Look at me." Your head didn't budge, so instead, he turned it himself.

You weren't crying, but your eyes were watery. Self-worth was a big issue of yours.

You tried so hard to make it seem like you were fine. But he could tell. God this is embarrassing.

"Don't start crying on me now!" he laughs, in an attempt to make you smile.

You avoided eye contact, ignoring him while trying to steady your breaths.

His smile drops. Well, that didn't work.

"I don't know why I'm even about to cry!" You sniffle with a forced laugh. "It's just that... never mind, I don't even know how to explain it."

He slowly shakes his head as he leans forward, signifying that he's listening to what you have to say. "Don't worry, take your time to figure it out. I'll listen."

You take a breath, trying to figure out how to put your feelings into words. "It sucks, you know. Camilo is like, my favorite person on the planet." You giggle, Sergio's face softening with a smile. Your smile, however, gradually drops as you continue. "The fact that he could stop talking to me so easily like that. I don't know, it just hurts."

Eventually, you manage to get rid of the lump in your throat.

"We did everything together, and now it's like those many years of friendship never even happened. It's like I don't even exist to him."

Sergio looks at you with empathy, putting an arm on your shoulder. "I'm sure he misses you. Your friendship is valuable to him."

His words went in one ear and out of the other. You didn't believe the false hope Sergio was giving you. How would he know anyways?

"Not like he could find someone else" you say sarcastically. "He's Camilo Madrigal for goodness sake! All the girls love him, want to be with him, hang out with him. I'm just, me. And to think I ever had a chance."

Sergio slightly tilts his head as his lip slightly pouts. "What do you mean?"

You chuckle, shrugging your shoulders. "Now don't act clueless on me Sergio. You know damn well what I mean."

"I don't follow..."

You furrow your brows in confusion. "You know, my 'undying love' as you like to phrase it." He removes the hand that was on your shoulder.

His eyes grow wide for a second. "Yeah... Yeah I remember.".

You smile with a roll of your eyes, both your heads turning when you hear your mama.

"Amor! We need some help in the village!"

You stand up at her words. "Coming mama!" You turned to look at Sergio who was looking up at you.

"Get out."

His face drops, caught off guard. His dumbfounded expression sends you into a state of laughter.

You shake your head in between giggles. "I'm joking. But really I have to go. I mean I don't mind if you want to stay here and wait I mean that's up to you. I won't be gone for long, you can see me from that window." You point to the window facing the village, one that gave a clear view of where you would be helping at.

Sergio nods. "If you're gonna be back soon then I'll just stay here. I'm too lazy to get up anyway, your bed is comfortable." he laughs, causing you to chuckle.

"Well alright then, I'll see you in a bit!"

You walk out of the room and down the stairs, making your way to the spot.

It wasn't a far walk, maybe took like a minute or two. You didn't even know what you were being asked to help with. For all you know you could have accepted to help fight a mountain lion that snuck into the Encanto.

Your thoughts were interrupted by a voice.

"Hey!" You turn around to see a boy, fairly wet and holding a large pile of wet clothes. He was walking from the river.

"Oh hey Serg-..."

Wait.

words: 1141