Babysitting Duty

Camilo stared blankly at the ceiling. He usually had a plan for his day. Fortunately, he was given something to do by his Abuela. After breakfast, he made his way towards the town. According to Dolores, the woman he was told to babysit for was near the center of town, sitting on a bench with her baby.

He strolled along the path, waving back at the people along the way. He shifted into a replica of the man he was saying hello to, shifting back into himself as he watched you open the front door of your home.

You weren't out for long, not long enough for you to spot Camilo. You went back inside, looking to be talking to someone in the house as you did so.

Camilo caught himself heading in your direction. No, he couldn't go over just yet. He has work to do.

He hasn't really spoken to you since the bakery event. After dreadfully hanging out with Sofia he went straight home. He really wanted to spend the day with you, but now isn't the time.

Frowning at the realization, he continues on through his original path.

"Hola senora Gomez!" Camilo greets the woman as he approaches her.

She gives him a warm smile, saying a hello as she stands up. "Hola Camilo, can you please watch him for a while?" He swiftly nods. "Of course! It's my job to help after all. How long do you need me?"

"I was thinking maybe two hours? Only if that's okay with you of course" She looks down at her son, who was settled with his chupon.

"Oh yeah don't worry about it. Take as long as you need, I don't mind." She sighs, quickly shining another bright smile. "Gracias Camilo, I deeply appreciate it. If he causes you any trouble or you need anything feel free to let me know." He returns the smile, gently taking the baby into his arms. "Mhm! Have a nice break senora!" he waves as she walks off.

He takes a look at the child in his grasp. Camilo's always been good with children, he's the town's babysitter for a reason, but the child started to cry.

Maybe he has attachment issues.

Camilo attempted to rock him, sing to him, and give him his bottle, but nothing helped. He didn't know what to do.

He rocked the baby back and forth as he looked around for a solution.

Frantically turning his head in multiple directions, his eyes land on the frame of your home.

Maybe you could help, if anyone was as good with kids as he was it would be you. Besides, you've helped babysit countless times before, nothing new.

He took another look at the child before deciding he needed your help.

"Shhh, it's okay. Estas bien" he attempts to calm the baby down, walking towards your doorstep.

Camilo knocks on your door with his free hand, rocking him with the other. You open the door, shocked to see his dilemma.

"Hey, do you need help...?" you say in a hushed voice, not wanting to startle the baby and cause it to cry even more. "Por favor, I've tried everything. He won't-"

"Is that a baby? Oh, hey Camilo"

Camilo looks behind you, spotting Sergio.

"Hey Sergio. You know what I can handle this. He'll stop crying... eventually." He begins to turn the other way but you pull him into the house. "No you seemed desperate when you came in, and if you were able to get him to stop you would have already."

Camilo knew you had a point. Even though he needed help, he wasn't too fond of staying. He didn't want to be a third wheel. He felt it would get awkward quickly. "But you have company, I don't wanna be a bother-"

"No it's fine I can go" Sergio shrugged. "Neither of you are going anywhere. The three of us are now on babysitting duty." You demanded. Besides, it's been a while since the three of you hung out together.

"But I don't know how to take care of a kid!" Sergio protested.

"Ya te dije, I can handle him."

You were beginning to get annoyed with this back and forth. Not to mention the child was still in tears. "Dios mio.." you mutter, taking the baby from Camilo's arms.

You set him down on the couch. The infant was young, but old enough to sit on it's own. He looked at you with a pout, eyes wet with his own tears. You crouched down, reaching his height and beginning to play with him. The baby's cries began to slow down, but they weren't completely stopping.

Camilo and Sergio stood watching you, turning to each other and ultimately deciding to join you. It didn't take long for the three of you to get him to stop crying. After playing with him for a while, he got hungry so you went to the kitchen to prepare his bottle.

This meant you had once again left the boys alone. Sergio didn't mind being left with Camilo. He was desperate to get Camilo to like him, as he felt he didn't like to be around him. Sergio wanted to be Camilo's friend, if only he wasn't so distant towards him.

He didn't get to make conversation though, you walked in pretty quickly.

Sergio was closest to the kitchen door, so instinctively you put your arm around the person you were closer to as you walked back into the room.

"I've got the milk," You say, arm still wrapped around Sergio as you hand Camilo the bottle.

Camilo caught himself glaring before you noticed, taking the bottle and the baby from the couch.

Yeah, no. Camilo wasn't gonna stand here and watch.

"I better get going. His mama should be picking him up soon," he stated, in the most monotoned voice.

You let go of Sergio, smile fading. "Oh yeah of course." you went over to give a quick peck to the baby in his arms.

The willpower it took to not give Camilo one too.

Anyways.

He headed towards the door, not saying a word. "Bye 'Milo! Te amo!"

"Mhm"

You stood there, not only hurt but shocked as the door closed.

Was he upset with you? What did you do?

You turned to face Sergio, who was oblivious to what had just happened.

"Do you think he's mad at me?" You ask, walking over to him. "No. Actually, I think it has more to do with me. I'm pretty sure he hates me. Sergio confesses, leaving you with a puzzled look. "I doubt that, 'Milo never hates someone unless they do something."

"Pues yo no se"

words: 1121