New Acquaintances

You straighten out the skirt of your dress as you look in the mirror. You curled your hair, giving it a slight wave. Taking a yellow ribbon from your nightstand you tie it around your hair.

Your mama knocks on the door, then opens it. "Are you ready to go?" she asks, you nod in response.

The both of you head downstairs, starting to walk towards the Madrigal home.

As you two are walking down to the path to casita, your mama turns to look at you. "Aw, you're wearing the dress Pepa made you?" You nod, glancing at her. "She asked me to, I thought it would be rude if I didn't," She smiles at you. "You know.. you look good in yellow," She winks, slightly nudging you. You shake your head with a sigh, knowing exactly what she was implying.

After walking for a little while more, you get to the pathway leading to the ceremony. There were candles illuminating the night sky in every direction. Many people were heading to the casita, kids holding sprinklers.

You first spot Luisa, helping move donkeys right outside the entrance. She turns around, seeing you in the distance. You returned the wave she sent your way with a smile.

Getting closer you see a two of the same men, one then changing into the old woman next to them.

There he is.

"Cecilia up-top!" Camilo exclaims, jumping up to high-five a little girl on her father's shoulders.

He watches them walk away, then turning to see you. His smile gets even wider than it already was.

Dramatically taking your hand, he raises it to his lips kissing it. You place your loose hand on your forehead, damsel in distress style. "Dios mio! Camilo Madrigal kissed my hand!" You fake swoon, earning a chuckle from him.

After greeting your mama he pulls you back. "I like your dress" he snickers, also knowing the meaning behind Pepa making it.

You push his face away with a laugh and begin catching up to your mama. There were people everywhere, in every direction.

You attempt to find a Madrigal grandchild to hang out with but they were either busy and you didn't want to interrupt, or you couldn't find them. Isabela was creating flower crowns for people, Luisa was taking something to the kitchen, children clinging onto her back. Mirabel, Dolores and Antonio were no where to be seen.

This left you with the decision of roaming around. Since you were over almost everyday, you knew your way around casita like the back of your hand.

You ended up deciding to roam around the backside of the Madrigal home, there weren't many people around that area. You stood there admiring the flowers Isabela had created. Although it wasn't long before you felt your back against the ground. 

It took a few seconds to realize what had just happened. A boy who you didn't recognize, seeming to be around your age, looking down at you with a flushed face. Before you got to even process anything, the boy spoke. "I- I'm so sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going"

"Oh it's alright, are you hurt?" You ask him while he gets off of you. "Am I hurt? If anything I should be the one asking you that. I literally fell on top of you." He raises his hands, both of you standing up.

You give him a soft smile before replying. "I'm fine, I'm used to being tackled to the floor" you slightly chuckle at your words, remembering the many times Camilo has tackled you over the years.

Noticing the boy's concerned expression, you quickly add in "affectionately of course" He gives a slow nod, looking to the floor. "So uh.. what's your name?" He returns his gaze back to you once you introduce yourself. "You have a really pretty name. I'm Sergio, Sergio Ramirez." Extending his arm out, you shake it with a smile. "It's nice to meet you. So what are you doing back here when the party is inside?"

"Well... let's just say my familia was getting a bit too much to handle" he smiles, rubbing his neck. "Besides, we just moved here not too long ago and I don't know how to get around this place." No wonder you didn't know him.

"Oh you're new here! How are you liking it in the Encanto so far?" You ask. "It's great! Just haven't got the time to really explore it just yet."

Your conversation gets interrupted by the announcement of Antonio's ceremony starting. 

"Hm, we can continue this later. We should get over there." He agrees, the both of you walking back into the casita.

Soft music began to play and everyone gathered around, leaving a space in front of the stairs. 

You and Sergio stood together in the crowd. You got there right when Alma began to talk so there wasn't anytime for you two to find the people you came to the party with.

"50 years ago, in our darkest moment, this candle blessed us with a miracle. And the greatest honor of our family, has been to use our blessings to serve this beloved community. Tonight we come together once more as another steps into the light, to make us proud."

The curtain at the end of the path opens, revealing Antonio. Everyone begins to clap and cheer, Alma walking up the stairs.

Antonio didn't move, instead turning to the side and reaching his arm out. He whispered something and Mirabel walked out. He clinged onto her arm as they walked to the door together.

Once getting to the top, Antonio places his hands on the candle and walks in front of his door. He hesitantly grabs the doorknob, the door gets brighter as everyone stands in awe.

A toucan lands on Antonio's arm. "Uh-uh, uh-huh I understand you. Of course they can come!"

More animals join the stairs. You couldn't help but smile at the pure joy on his face.

"We have a new gift!" The crowd cheers, celebrating. Everyone rushes inside his new room, including you and Sergio. "Come on!" you exclaim, looking back at the boy attempting to follow your pace.

When you both got there Antonio had just gotten down from his jaguar. He spots you, running towards you once you two managed to get to the front of the crowd. "'Tonito!" You exclaim lifting him up and spinning him as he laughs. "Did you see my gift?! It's so cool huh?!" you smile, booping his nose. "The coolest." 

"Hermosa I've been looking everywhere for you!" says Camilo walking up to you guys. "Where have you been?" He asks, ruffling his brothers hair. "Oh nothing much, just got tripped on." You laugh, putting Antonio down and Sergio groaning in embarrassment. "You what?! Are you okay?!" He begins to grab your face, inspecting it. "I'm fine 'Milo! Nothing to worry about." You reassure him, taking his hands off your cheeks.

He slightly pouts, still concerned, turning his attention onto the boy that was still standing beside you.

" Oh! Um.. hola. Yo soy Camilo Madrigal" He shakes his hand. "Sergio Ramirez" 

"We need a picture! Everyone come! Come, come, come! It's a great night! It's a perfect night!"

You teasingly push Camilo towards his family, earning a slight laugh from him.

words: 1194