Chapter three - the designer potato sack

i am in love with tøp.

that is all.

——

"There is such disassociation between what the eyes see and what the mind envisions. The final thought is just a matter of interpretation, coloured by our experiences."

——

"Up!" A gruff yell woke me from my sleep. I groaned unhappily. "Up, you hideous, underdeveloped maggots!"

I stretched, and winced. I had a crick in my neck and all of my muscles were stiff. Jamia didn't look particularly comfortable either; she was rubbing the back of her neck with a grimace on her face, and the hollowness of her cheeks suggested a lack of sleep.

"Our little chance encounter with the Aurora means there's work to be done! Get your scrawny bags of bones out of your beds. All hands on fucking deck!"

The sound of metal soled shoes on hardwood floor reverberated off the walls, and it was only a moment before Captain Bryar was stood before us, dressed in full attire; heavy coat, cutlass, hat and all. "You two," he said roughly, "are to come with me." He turned on his heel and marched away, and we followed meekly. I had to limp because of my ankle, but Jamia helped me along.

"It's a sad day when we pick up a couple of slaves for ourselves and they get attached to each other," he mused as he led us across the ship. "It's a shame one of yer's gonna get sold."

Sold. The word horrified me. I felt like my body had frozen and my heart had stopped beating. I was going to lose Jamia. Sure, we had only known each other a day, but she was the only person I felt like I could trust on this ship. She was my only friend here. If she was sold, then I'd be stranded here with the pirates, alone without a sane soul in miles. Oh gosh, and even worse, if I was sold, poor Jamia would be stuck here with these sociopathic maniacs. What if they hurt her? What if they raped her? Oh, Jesus. At least if she was sold to some family as a maid then she'd be treated right, and she might have some chance of escape.

"I'll stay on the ship," I said immediately.

"Oh yes, that was the plan," Captain Bryar said.

I slowed down. "I'm sorry?"

He waved a hand dismissively. "Oh, nothing. Stump?" he called.

A short blonde boy with a peg leg appeared in front of us. "Yes, sir?"

The captain clamped a hand on Jamia's shoulder. She didn't squirm but she didn't look too happy either. "Get ready to take this one and the prisoners from the Aurora out to be sold. Prep 'em. Make sure they look presentable; we run a fair trade."

I snorted incredulously. "You're pirates."